1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What to do with an egg eating Chicken

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by cowgirlchicken, Aug 4, 2014.

1. cowgirlchicken

cowgirlchicken Out Of The Brooder

May 27, 2014
    Michigan
    I don't know what chicken is doing this but it's now happened twice with the same kind of egg so idk if it's the hen who is laying them eating it or what what's the best way to find out which one it is?

2. hxgumdrop

hxgumdrop Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2013
    Bristol, England
    you could sit there and wait to see which one does it? lol put a fake egg in the laying box who ever it is will soon get bored and stop doing, also collecting eggs as regularly as possible can prevent egg eating

3. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    If you can find the one separate her. Collect often and put fake eggs in so they are unsuccessful if they try to break them. If they're breaking accidentally, try to correct the breaking egg problem.

4. cowgirlchicken

cowgirlchicken Out Of The Brooder

May 27, 2014
    Michigan
    Would a golf ball pass for a fake egg? Lol I go out a few times a day to check for eggs of I had the time to sit and watch I would but I don't lol

5. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Yes a golf ball will work. Preferably several, so they outnumber the real eggs.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  6. swany

swany New Egg

Sep 14, 2013
    I forgot about the golf ball idea, I used them once before and found wooden eggs at Hobby Lobby. after a while they flip the fake eggs out of the nest. thanks for jogging my memory. New Egg
    Another problem is that the hens aren't laying, I get one egg, not every day...

Last edited: Jan 13, 2015
  7. CrazyTalk

CrazyTalk Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2014
    First you need to figure out what's happening in why. Its possible you've got protein issues, or its possible that the eggs are getting broken (in which case they're fair game).

It's also possible that it's just a bad bird.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by