What to do with an egg eating Chicken

cowgirlchicken

In the Brooder
5 Years
May 27, 2014
Michigan
I don't know what chicken is doing this but it's now happened twice with the same kind of egg so idk if it's the hen who is laying them eating it or what what's the best way to find out which one it is?

you could sit there and wait to see which one does it? lol put a fake egg in the laying box who ever it is will soon get bored and stop doing, also collecting eggs as regularly as possible can prevent egg eating

If you can find the one separate her. Collect often and put fake eggs in so they are unsuccessful if they try to break them. If they're breaking accidentally, try to correct the breaking egg problem.

Would a golf ball pass for a fake egg? Lol I go out a few times a day to check for eggs of I had the time to sit and watch I would but I don't lol

I forgot about the golf ball idea, I used them once before and found wooden eggs at Hobby Lobby. after a while they flip the fake eggs out of the nest. thanks for jogging my memory. New Egg
Another problem is that the hens aren't laying, I get one egg, not every day...

Last edited:
First you need to figure out what's happening in why. Its possible you've got protein issues, or its possible that the eggs are getting broken (in which case they're fair game).

It's also possible that it's just a bad bird.

Back
Top Bottom