What to do with baby roo?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by bilbobaggins, Oct 28, 2011.

1. bilbobaggins

bilbobaggins New Egg

Oct 25, 2011
    I have a flock of 11 hens and one rooster "Elvis". I then gave my friend some of my eggs for her broody and after hatching she unexpectedly gave 3 of them back with the Mum and Auntie they live with. They are now 10 weeks old and living with Mum and Auntie in a smaller run. My problem is that I am sure that one of the babies is a roo as I can here old crowing noises come out of the baby run early in the morning. I will be able to integrate them shortly keeping them in a seperate run within the big girls area so they get used to each other, but what do a do about the roo, will he fight with Elvis, they will be father and son, I am lothed to cull and he won't be any good to anyone else because he will be a cross breed - Silver Spangled Appenzeller crossed with what ever his mum was which could be a Sussex, Bluebell, Speckledy or ex batt. Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks

2. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

I have two roos and 10 hens, they get along fine. My older roo is a silkie though, so that could be why.. He's very tame. My other roo is only young, so they haven't had any encounters yet.. (by young, I mean just shy of 5 months old).

3. chic-a-deee

chic-a-deee Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Hi

I have a silkie roo too & he is soooo tame.
    I can pat him on my knee & he goes to sleep.
    I can also turn him upside down in my hand & scratch his tummy.
    Very cute [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. bilbobaggins

bilbobaggins New Egg

Oct 25, 2011
    Thanks that sounds hopefull, Elvis is not all all tame but he's a good husband and very protective, maybe if I introduce them slowly they will be ok, the ex batts are the aggressive ones in my crowd, Elvis just attacks me!

5. shannonkNH

shannonkNH Out Of The Brooder

May 5, 2008
    NH
    I have a Brahma Roo who is fabulous both with the girls and with people. We used to have a bantam leghorn who had attitude. The Brahma used to defend me against the Leghorn when he got fiesty. He also managed him with concern to the others in the coop. We lost the leghorn over last summer when a bobcat was passing through our yard. The same year we had a Frizzle/Brahma rooster born here. He was (is) held a lot and loves people. He's a sweetheart and gets along well with everyone. The Brahma is still the alpha though. They work it out or establish who is in charge from what I have seen. Good luck!

6. OldChurchEggery1

OldChurchEggery1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2011
    Virginia
    You may have luck integrating the whole group at once. Just because they're father and son does NOT mean they will get along, though. Keep a close eye on them and if there's serious fighting, you're better off getting rid of the mixed breed cockerel. While you may not want to cull, you might find someone on craigslist who will relieve you of him.

7. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    if Elvis will not be integrated why not Craig's List so he can go to a good home on a farm. Sell him to a local farm or ???? but don't put hm down sounds to cute!!

8. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

I wouldn't keep a rooster that was aggressive. Especially if he was that way to a human.. You should re-home Elvis.

[​IMG]

Here is my silkie roo, Steve [​IMG]

[​IMG]

"Hey ladies, check me out!" [​IMG]

9. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    sooooo cuteeee. What a ladies Roo.... sweet. Luv the color too. Did you ever see Elvis Presley in the movie "Kissing Cousins" and the country cousin was a Redhead. Well there you go. "Elvis"

10. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    He is a cutie... I have a Roo I just tried to integrate with some of my other birds. He didn't bother the other Roos but was brutal with the girls. Not trying to mate but serious fighting that I had to take him out. He is a teenager. He was hatched on July 16th so he is about 4½ months old. I thought about putting him in with the birds I want him with at night but I'm going to do some coop shifting and moving birds around in the different coops so maybe I'll try again then which should be this next week. I have to clean and disinfectant the coops as I move the birds. This is going to be fun as most are laying now and I want to clean out the nest boxes too. I have 22 nest boxes. I thought about putting milk crates out with hay in them. Hopefully when I move my teenager Roo he will be nicer. I might put him in with a couple of older Roos and see what happens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by