What to do with bossy bantam rooster?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ChickieBooBoo, Nov 22, 2010.

1. ChickieBooBoo

ChickieBooBoo Cold Canadian Chick

Dec 2, 2009
    Canada
    I have a BTW Japanese rooster who WAS fine with the rest of my younger birds and other bantams. This weekend I moved some of the younger birds into the new warm coop and he came with them. Suddenly he is bullying everyone, not picking on them to hurt them but chasing them until they have to lie down they are so tired, then he pecks them a few times and walks away to chase someone else. I am sick of him doing this to the girls, he even picks on the standard size hens and Silkies. I am REALLY tempted to put in my aggresive-to-other-roos rooster in the pen with them and let him teach the Jap rooster a lesson.

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    How about isolating him for a few days by himself while everyone else adjusts to their new surroundings? Once he's re-introduced his attitude is likely to have changed for the better.

3. dgeter

dgeter Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 8, 2008
    Colorado
    My Coop
    I've found that isolating my rooster from the other hens makes him even more moody when you put him back in. Its like he feels he has to re-remind everyone who is boss :-/

4. ChickieBooBoo

ChickieBooBoo Cold Canadian Chick

Dec 2, 2009
    Canada
    I tried seperating him for a few days and he was fine for a few hours and then it was back to normal [​IMG]

5. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Ship him to me and let me introduce him to Thor?

Sorry, that's not helpful. But it would be interesting. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by