1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What to do with breeding pens during the winter

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by CreamBruelle, Mar 4, 2017.

1. CreamBruelle

CreamBruelle Out Of The Brooder

Sep 26, 2016
    What do y'all do with your breeding pens in the winter and rainy weather if you keep your chickens in them throughout the entire year? I don't want rain to get in their pens and I don't want the chickens to get to cold.

2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    It might help if you either show (photos) or describe what your breeding pens are like - folks use all sorts of designs for breeding pens so it's difficult to answer what might work for you/your setups without knowing what they are like.

3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    What is your climate/location?

4. CreamBruelle

CreamBruelle Out Of The Brooder

Sep 26, 2016
    I live in Kansas. The winters can be harsh at times and we can get a lot of rain.

5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Then you'll probably want to cover most the walls to block winds, except for 6" or so at the top for ventilation.
    Nice to use something clear to let in light and have visibility, heavy duty clear shower curtains can be a great choice.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by