What to do with Broody

Zed3

In the Brooder
10 Years
May 2, 2009
Huntingtown, MD
I have a Buff O that I hatched this past Spring. She has only be laying a few weeks and now she as gone Broody. She started with 1 egg but every time she gets out of the nest another hen lays an egg for her to sit on. I think there are 4 or 5 maybe more by now. With Winter fast approaching will the chicks survive in the coop or will I have to bring her and them into the garage, the house is not an option. Maryland Winters are not severe but it could get into the twenties by January. Maybe I should get her off the nest and take the eggs, this is only day 3 or 4.

Thanks for your help.

Zed

If you can put her in someplace that she can't take the kids out into the cold she should do fine. Though I'd recommend marking the eggs she has now and removing any new ones, you don't want her hatching one chick a day forever!

Thanks for the help. I remover 9 eggs this afternoon because I will be away for the next week. When I return if she is still broody I will let have it her way. I did not think to mark the eggs and wondered what to do when new eggs where found in the nest.

Zed

Back
Top Bottom