1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What to do with "dead" eggs?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by JustPeachy, Jun 24, 2011.

1. JustPeachy

JustPeachy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2011
    Waynesboro, Ga
    This may sound like a silly question, but, if you are candling eggs (that are in the incubator for hatching) and believe that an egg is not progressing, what do you do with it. Do you just trash it or can it still be eaten, how many days is the cutoff or do you trash any that you have started in the incubator? How long do you keep your fertile eggs if you are using them for food, how long do they keep on the counter compared to in the fridge?
    Thanks!
    Lisa

2. ozark_chickies

ozark_chickies Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2011
    Arkansas
    I'm new at incubating eggs, but when I have quitters, or eggs that don't hatch I eggtopsy, then bury in the garden. I wouldn't eat an egg that had been in the incubator. If I planned on eating an egg I would put it in the refrigerator the day I gathered it. Also would break it in a separate dish, not the frying pan or food, in case it wasn't fresh, or had a chick forming..Hope this helps.

3. Memphisjourney2seramas

Memphisjourney2seramas Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2011
    I agree. Once in the bator it is no longer edible. I gather every day. They can last for up to 7 days before you incubate them if you turn them daily. I usually take the duds and feed them to the chickens.

4. Azriel

Azriel Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    Montana
    You do not want to eat eggs that have been in the incubator [​IMG]. If I have clears or early quitters I bury them in the garden. You do not want to just toss them out behind the coop so to speak, as if a fox or coon gets them they will start to look at your coop and chickens as an easy food sorce. Fertile eggs are no different than other eggs as long as you don't start to incubate them. I never leave my eggs out on the counter, first off my dog would steal them, and I just feel better putting them in the fridge as soon as I bring them in. If you want to incubate them, then hold them in a cool spot up to 7 days turning a few times daily till you get the amount that you want to set.

5. JustPeachy

JustPeachy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2011
    Waynesboro, Ga
    Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by