What to do with Drakes

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by DanceswLabs, Nov 26, 2010.

1. DanceswLabs

DanceswLabs Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2010
    Wake County, NC
    My fawn and white Runners are 6 weeks old now, and I am almost positive that I have 2 females and 5 drakes. I am going by their voices, and the girls just look girlier. I love them all, but I don't think that keeping so many drakes is going to work for me. I want more females to lay eggs, and I want everyone to get along. I have a total of 3 females and 6 males (counting the parents), and this looks like a bad equation for the females. The boys are already bullying each other....they even chase the parent ducks (who did not incubate them, so they don't know they are related); that is pretty funny to watch! Other than that, the boys are all sweet, and I would like to see them in pet homes where they will be loved. So, how do I go about this? I know I can advertise on Craig's List, but is that the best way to go? If I am going to be picky about where they go, am I asking for trouble? Should I wait and see if they all get along and the females aren't abused? Any advice?

2. pringle

pringle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    Pepperell,MA
    I wouldent have that many drakes if there were females around,check for local chicken stocks in your area maybe you can sell or give them away there.

3. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I can only say about Muscovy drakes but they would fight in a heart beat, with girls around. I have 2 drakes and 6 ducks and it took a better part of a year before the boys stopped fighting and one became the dominant of the 2. They live together in the same large inclosed area but the younger of the 2 has to stay on guard all the time to make sure he's not going to be beat up. Plus they can be awfully hard on the girls.

4. Where The Wild Things Are

Where The Wild Things Are Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2010
    Utah
    IMHO you have every right to be picky about the home they go to. I know I would!

5. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Start looking now before the trouble starts. It is a given that they will start fighting and may cause significant physical damage to the females. Try to solve the problem before it starts. They are ducks and will act as ducks do. Good luck in relocating them.

6. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    A few years ago I had a number of young drakes I had to rehome. When advertising them I made of point of mentioning how quiet drakes are, and as a pet in suburban areas this is better than having noisy girls. The 6 were rehomed as singles or pairs for people to keep as pets. So not only did I not have to worry about my drakes being eaten- I didnt have to worry about any offspring going to the pot either. Another time I actually purchased a female to go with a single drake I couldnt keep. Being a pekin I was so worried about where he would end up if I advertised him alone- and since I had no other females at the time I wanted to make sure he still had the chance to go to a good home.

It is very hard at times to rehome them after you have hard raised them- and making sure their new home is going to be a good one is very important to me as well. It is one of the reasons I now keep Runners - they dont get bought for the pot like other breeds here in Australia.

7. DanceswLabs

DanceswLabs Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2010
    Wake County, NC
    I really needed the advice I got here to get me moving on this....thank you! It is hard to think of re-homing something I considered to be my babies. And I am concerned about a good home. I know people eat ducks and that's fine.....but I can't stand the thought of mine ending up that way. I will try advertising them as hand-raised pets and mention the quietness of drakes. I think that they would make fun pets if someone wanted two drakes. Thanks everyone.

8. pascopol

pascopol Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2009
    Tampa Bay
    What to do with drakes?

That's an easy one:

Kill them and grill them !

cause.....

9. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    pascopol- you are entitled to do what you wish with your drakes- but the OP is actually trying to get helpful information in rehoming the drakes so they are not eaten- you are entitled to your own opinion but your comment is not helpful in anyway to the OP.

10. love_a_duck

love_a_duck Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2010
    Waterford, Michigan
    Quote:Yes, pascopol, did you even bother to read the thread?[​IMG]
    I agree with duckyfromoz.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by