what to do with dry chicks in incubator

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by funonahonda, Jan 27, 2009.

1. funonahonda

funonahonda Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2008
    Central Ohio
    After the dry chicks have hatched, and there are still eggs in there that have cracks in them and still hatching can I go ahead and remove the dry chicks and put them in the brooder without messing with the eggs that have not hatched yet!

2. Teach97

Teach97 Bantam Addict

Nov 12, 2008
    Hooker, OK
    I do that all the time...no ill effects that I can tell

3. Jenski

Jenski Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2008
    Middle Tennessee
    I would wait until everyone's hatched, to avoid possibly reducing the humidity in the incubator and causing the remaining chicks to stick in their shells. This is critical at hatch time.

To quote MissPrissy's advice to me - "Keep your hands to yourself" until everyone's hatched. [​IMG]

Good luck with whatever you decide!

4. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    I take them out before they get into some kind of trouble. I do it quickly and have never found any problems with the remaining eggs/chicks.

5. Jenski

Jenski Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2008
    Middle Tennessee
    gator, that's good to know.

6. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    The chicks are fine for 24 hours. Don't open the bator unless you have to. You will change the hatching environment and even though the humidity will come back up you won't restore what has been building for the last 3 days.

7. funonahonda

funonahonda Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2008
    Central Ohio
    Thank very much for all your input, we have 3 that are all the way out of the egg and have about four with little cracks in them, but one or two of them you could see them moving the egg but now they havn't moved for about thirty minutes, hope they are alright.

8. farmerlor

farmerlor Chillin' With My Peeps

So the new babies don't need any food or water or anything? I can just leave them there for 24 hours?

9. mrsengeseth

mrsengeseth Chillin' With My Peeps

They don't need food right away.

10. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    When you take them out of the incubator and put them in the brooder have plenty of crumble feed and fresh water available. Dip their little beaks carefully so they will get their first drink then they should pick it up on their own from there.

When chicks hatch they can actually sustain themselves on the yolk they absorbed just before hatch for about 72 hours. I never let mine go longer than 24 - 36 hours. When I feel the hatch is over or it it becomes too crowded I take the dry chicks out and move them to the brooder.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by