What to do with extra roos?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Chirehe, Jul 15, 2019.

1. Chirehe

Chirehe Chirping

Jul 29, 2018
    Arkansas
    *Please no bashing on me for this if you don’t like the way roosters are done away with don’t read or comment, thanks*

This is a question to mainly breeders and hobby hatchers, my hatchling cockerel to pullet ratio is awful only about 3 pullets out of the 13 I’ve hatched so far. I want to hatch more and start selling chicks and grow outs and such but my main chicks are blue EE sexlinks so I can’t sell straight runs (I mean I could but I’d feel horrible). So what to do with the extra boys, I honestly don’t want to put the time or money into feeding them out for chicken dinner. I was honestly thinking about getting in touch with some snake breeders/owners and seeing if they’d be interested, but I’d love to hear some suggestions on what you all do with your extras?

2. Gray Farms

Gray Farms Conserve Heritage Breed Livestock

Apr 11, 2016
    NW Missouri
    I'd just give them away to anybody that'd take them as soon as their hatched. No interest in feeding them out to butcher for your own freezer?

3. RyderTheChicken

RyderTheChicken Songster

Aug 28, 2018
    Anchorage Alaska
    Are you sure you don’t want to eat them? They taste good :drool

4. PirateGirl

PirateGirl Chicken Lover, Duck Therapist

Mar 11, 2017
    South Park, Colorado, USA
    If you aren't worried about a profit from the males, maybe you could offer them free to 4H kids or something.

5. sealer39

sealer39 Songster

Aug 3, 2013
    Pineville, Louisiana
    Are they the Carolina Blue EE Sex-Links?

6. Folly's place

Folly's place Crossing the Road

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    Also, wildlife raptor rehab places may be delighted getting chickens of any age.
    If you can butcher your own, grow them up for the freezer. If there's a local poultry slaughter facility, that works too.
    Mary

7. Chirehe

Chirehe Chirping

Jul 29, 2018
    Arkansas
    I have two beautiful polish boys that I’m already having a hell of a time rehoming FOR FREE! Nobody wants boys in my area unfortunately, I’ve slaughtered 5/7 already #6 got lucky because I couldn’t stomach any more, it’s a huge pain without a defeathering thing otherwise it wouldn’t be too bad. I’ll definitely have to look into the raptor rehab idea!

@sealer39
    Nope more just of my own creation, it’s my EE roo over my BR girls, first pullet from them lays green and I’m so happy! Lol

8. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    I slaughter cockerels at 13-16 weeks, before they start causing chaos and while still tender enough to grill for that crispy skinned deliciousness. Not much meat but the grilled bones make for some excellent stock. Anything older than that I pressure cook until meat is done and is saved aside then a couple more hours to get that bone broth.

Resting the cleaned carcass in fridge for 48-72 hours for rigor to pass is essential for chewable meat from any bird(except maybe CX?). Tho no homegrown bird I've eaten, layer or meat breed, is as soft as a grocery bird, they are more 'toothsome'.

Had some luck with this in spring, nature center took 1wo male chicks(I hatch sexlined OE's), but I had to kill and freeze them. Find the person in charge of the raptors, hope that communications are steady and flowing(having trouble with that here).

9. Gray Farms

Gray Farms Conserve Heritage Breed Livestock

Apr 11, 2016
    NW Missouri
    I just skin mine. Its much faster

Tycine1 likes this.
  10. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Worth the time to me....one of the best parts of the chicken!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: