what to do with feed?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by chicken stick, Jul 4, 2010.

1. chicken stick

chicken stick Out Of The Brooder

Apr 25, 2010
    long island new york
    have nine pullets about 13 weeks one may be a little older but not sure got a shell less egg the other day and a good egg today . they all have been eating layer feed for about 2 weeks (bought it by accident) just bought the proper grower feed how should i feed now that someones laying?1 feeder with grower and one with layer ? and now oyster shell....what about the scratch throw it on the ground or in a feeder? holy choices ..... what should i do? advice please

2. Tiramisu

Tiramisu Got Mutts

May 3, 2008
    Milan PA
    I think your hens are several weeks older than 13 weeks, that is a bit too young it seems. I think you can just feed the grower with oyster shell in a seperate bowl for free choice until they are all laying. I never fed scratch, but most of what I read they just throw it on the ground.

3. chicken stick

chicken stick Out Of The Brooder

Apr 25, 2010
    long island new york
    i have 4 that i got from the local feed store that i got a few days before easter they were about 2 or 3 weeks old . found another feed store that had more varity of birds got 4 more but they were about a week old. finaly i got a turken a few weeks later that i thought was about 6 weeks old didnt have feathers growing out of its neck yet. i think thats the one i noticed her pecking at a few seashells i have in the back yard. i dont know these are my first chickens im learning from a friend or 2 but i get good advice from the members

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by