What to do with fertlized egg smell?

sevenbelles

In the Brooder
Jan 8, 2016
My daughter has 3 silkie hens.one went broody. Went and got 11 fertilized eggs from original chicken farm she came from. Placed them under her on the 5th. She has been sitting on then everyday but 15 min to eat and drink. Today my daughter noticed a smell from 2 eggs. I candeled the eggs, the 2 smelly ones can not be seen through and one has small crack, they are also heavier than the others. The original mothers were free range and no time frame on when the eggs were laid or how long they could of been sat on before she gave them to me. So do I leave all eggs like they are in the nest and see what happens? We are new to this. So we are hoping for good results.

We had 11 eggs, 2 went bad, 1 unfertilized. That left 8, all 8 babies hatched. The 8th one was 3 days late, but she came out and survived. She is the smallest. A really pretty gray on her, "Silvia" is her name... all 8 are doing well. Have 7 more under another silkie. 22-24th is their due date....

Last edited:
If they smell bad throw them out. They can explode! You definatly don't want to deal with that mess, especially if it is allover the other developing eggs.

Wed they smell if they are bad, or would they starting to hatch by chance? My daughter said when Ginger got off her nest, they were stuck to her and they are sticky?

Smelling bad always means they have died, dispose of them immediatly!
Like the above poster said, if they explode in the nest they will often kill the rest of the eggs.
Good luck with your hatch!

Smelling bad always means they have died, dispose of them immediatly!
Like the above poster said, if they explode in the nest they will often kill the rest of the eggs.
Good luck with your hatch!

So do I just throw away the 2 that smell and when do I check the others? At what day should I try and candel them?

Yes.
What day are they on? Days 7, 14, and 18 are the usual candle times, but do not wait to throw the bad ones away.

They are on day 3, going on 4. But I'm not sure how long they sat in the ladies nest before she pulled them. My daughter said the day we got them was when they were pulled. But not sure how to tell on timeframe.

They are on day 3, going on 4. But I'm not sure how long they sat in the ladies nest before she pulled them. My daughter said the day we got them was when they were pulled. But not sure how to tell on timeframe.

Ok then. Candle on day 7, and make sure to check for smells so you don't get a ruined hatch!

Last edited:
i have seen where if you pull even one egg out the hen will notice and then i have seen others where you pull some out and or add some and the henn stopped sitting so i think it depends on the

Back
Top Bottom