what to do with frozen water

Jul 2, 2017
hi everyone today we had are first snow and the birds water has frozen. we let are birds free range and I went to check on them and their feet were pinker than usual we do not have a heater in the coop because of fire hazards and are coop is to far away to run a extension cord I gave them some warm oatmeal but they seem dehydrated because their water is frozen what should I do? please reply ASAP

hi everyone today we had are first snow and the birds water has frozen. we let are birds free range and I went to check on them and their feet were pinker than usual we do not have a heater in the coop because of fire hazards and are coop is to far away to run a extension cord I gave them some warm oatmeal but they seem dehydrated because their water is frozen what should I do? please reply ASAP
I’m not a big professional like some people on this site, but I had an idea that maybe put hot (not boiling) water? So it wouldn’t melt as fast. Just an idea, I wish you luck though!:thumbsup

If You Do Have Electricity

If you DO have electricity to your coop and run area, you have a few more options. Heated waterer bases are available commercially, but they are expensive and don't seem to last more than one or two seasons.

There are tons of instructions online on how to make your own heated base out of a cookie tin, but the waterer can easily slide off the slick metal surface of the tin. Even scarier, we've had several people tell us theirs caught on fire, and one guy, in the comments below this post actually had a chicken electrocuted. Not good. And anyway, I prefer to store cookies in my cookie tins! So just say NO to the DIY cookie tin heater. Instead why not try....

Lightbulb in a Cinder Block
- This idea is brilliant. You clamp a light bulb inside a cinder block and cover it with a stepping stone. Your waterer sets on top of it. The rough surface prevents slipping and this couldn't be easier or safer in your run in winter.

If you DO have electricity to your coop and run area, you have a few more options. Heated waterer bases are available commercially, but they are expensive and don't seem to last more than one or two seasons.

There are tons of instructions online on how to make your own heated base out of a cookie tin, but the waterer can easily slide off the slick metal surface of the tin. Even scarier, we've had several people tell us theirs caught on fire, and one guy, in the comments below this post actually had a chicken electrocuted. Not good. And anyway, I prefer to store cookies in my cookie tins! So just say NO to the DIY cookie tin heater. Instead why not try....

- This idea is brilliant. You clamp a light bulb inside a cinder block and cover it with a stepping stone. Your waterer sets on top of it. The rough surface prevents slipping and this couldn't be easier or safer in your run in winter.
This was much more useful than my idea.
:oops:

This was much more useful than my idea.
:oops:

What about when you make the oatmeal, make it very very thin with warm water??? Would that help?
Also, since they free range, can you give them a water dish close to one of your doors and keep track of it? They'll find it during the day, don't need it at night when they roost.

We do not heat our coop either but did situate it close enough to the house so they could have a heated dog water dish. SO glad as the last few nights have been 12 degrees, warming to about 20 during the day. Their non heated waterers are solid ice.
This time last year we had flowers, the bees were still active and it did not get bitter cold until late December. Who know what this year will bring.

Back
Top Bottom