What to do with JUMBO bag of cedar shavings?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by a(TM)?HoneyBeea(TM)?, Aug 15, 2011.

1. a(TM)?HoneyBeea(TM)?

a(TM)?HoneyBeea(TM)? Out Of The Brooder

Jul 27, 2011
    My green cheek conure came with a bag of cedar shavings.. It's such a big bag I could

make ME a bed out of them! I'm definitely NOT using them for my birds or rabbit, and I

don't feel safe about using them for my chickens either, even though I've read people

say it's safe.. Is cedar safe for anything? Should I trash the bag? [​IMG]

2. AZBootsie

AZBootsie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2010
    Congress, AZ
    My Coop
    Mulch would be a good use for it. Or fill socks with it and hang it in your closet to smell nice?? Maybe some cool craft gift that hang in closets or be tucked into drawers for a nice smell and moth control.

3. BorderKelpie

BorderKelpie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2009
    outside Dallas
    Wow, if you lived close to me - I'd take it off your hands [​IMG]

I mix cedar with pine shavings in my dog kennel. The dogs love to play in it and fleas hate the stuff. It's smells nice (in an open area - not in the house *choke*)

lol

I do have a fair number of dogs, I try to be considerate of the neighbors, cedar is one way to help with any potential odor issues.

4. a(TM)?HoneyBeea(TM)?

Jul 27, 2011
    Well I'd give it to you! Haha if I had a nice OPEN and well ventilated erea for my dogs

that needed bedding, I'd use it. But being the only dog houses we have are dogloos

or inclosed wooden dog houses, I feel they won't have enough fresh air. :)

AZbootsie, Thankyou for the ideas! I'll definatly be using some of those ideas!

5. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    I was thinking mulch too, or you could make some little bags of them and use them to 'freshen' your closets. [​IMG]

6. a(TM)?HoneyBeea(TM)?

Jul 27, 2011
    I'm defiantly doing that! Thankyall muches! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by