What to do with mama hen after baby dies?

ImNotYogi

Songster
5 Years
Dec 8, 2014
Eastern NC
Found my 3 week old baby chick dead this afternoon after work. The mama hen is still wandering around and will cluck to call the baby over if she finds something. My question is when will she go out of "mama hen" mode and go back to normal? Do I let it happen naturally or try to force it? I feel bad for her. It's almost like watching a kid look for a lost dog.

Hi there
You can buy a few chicks and
Pop them under her wing when she is asleep at night
Or you can break her broodyness by
Putting he in a metal cadge raised off the ground
With just food and water and this should stop her
Goodluck

She won't go out of it naturally? Or would that just be unhealthy for her? Other than trying to call the baby over she acts normal with eating and drinking.

The local feed store had some people selling chicks this past weekend but I don't want to run the risk of more roosters since they're all straight run. Also the possibility of her not accepting them?

Yes there is a possibility of her not accepting them
I have done this many times when I was in the same situation as you
And it all worked out perfectly
If you decide to get chicks when will you get them?
I would say you should get them soon if that's what your doing

I doubt I'm going to get more chicks. I reluctantly allowed her to hatch this one out since this is my first flock. She went broody before turning a year old. Would it hurt her to let her go out of it on her own? I might just rig up a broody breaker tomorrow. I hate watching her trying to call a chick that I know isn't going to come running.

I found someone around me selling 3 week old chicks. Would that work? Are they too old for adoption? Should I be worried about diseases more than if she rejects them?

Back
Top Bottom