What to do with my baby roosters!!!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by cluckcluckluke, Feb 7, 2014.

1. cluckcluckluke

cluckcluckluke Overrun With Chickens

Hay all[​IMG].

I have 5 chicks here, 2-3 of which are roosters. I am going to make another thread for sexing them just to make sure, but non the less. What do I do with them?

All 5 chicks are roughly 4 weeks old and are all still attached to their mothers. They go outside and run about, but at night and feeding time all they want are their parents. It's not a big deal as there are only 2 roosters and there not eating large amounts of feed but for future can I sell/ give them away when they are still with their mothers?

Thanks, Lucas[​IMG].

2. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    Very soon the hens will start pushing them away and they'll be on their own. You could separate them now if you want - hatchery chicks never have a mother - and they'd be fine after a day or so. As far as what to do with them farther into the future, there are so many variables to consider. Where do you live? Are chickens common? If so, it will be hard to even give them away. Are they a rare, quality show bird? Then you might be able to sell them. To be honest, roosters in general are hard to "rehome". If you do find someone to take them, they'll probably end up on the dinner table anyway. We eat our extras. I'd rather it be me than someone else after I've put in the time and feed to grow them up.

3. cluckcluckluke

Thanks for the reply bobbi.
    I have only had to sell 2 roosters before and I made a nice profit on both of them. Both where also not quality, just purebred.
    The ones I have now are also purebred but they are White Leghorns and they are very common so I am not sure how they will go on the market.
    I just wanted to know If they could be 'taken' from their mums and be alright with it.
    As I said before they are not eating a massive amount of feed but I would like to move them on now so that I don't have to spend anymore on them. Also, they are Leghorns...so not good for eating.lol.

4. pound4pound

pound4pound Out Of The Brooder

Jan 28, 2014
    watching, wild and free!
    this is an opportunity for you to determine a good replacement. i would recommend that you determine the good eaters and sell the picky eaters.

if the chicks hatched with their mom, they'll be needing her because their down feathers will not provide them a good protection from drafts and cold weather. it will be causing them stress.

grow them out first then you must have replacements and you can have some for the freezer. if you're not looking for replacements sell them. :D

Last edited: Feb 9, 2014
  5. cluckcluckluke

Thanks Pound!
    I already have my desired rooster, so these two are not needed.
    They are fully feathered and only ever snuggle next to their mums at night, so I think they should be ok.
    I will give them a few more weeks though just to make sure!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by