What to do with my flock

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Mattsiewrt94, Feb 10, 2014.

1. Mattsiewrt94

Mattsiewrt94 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2013
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Idk what to do with my flock I'm not getting rid of them or anything but idk if I should get guineas for the yard cuz it's cool to see them out there or should I just get more chickens but does anyone know good and exotic breeds like eye candy that's all there for I only get eggs from them I don't kill them but help me out people and I've had one guineas that lived with the chickens but got attacked. I was also thinking getting a flock of them but idk I heard there loud so I might just keep to chickens help me out lol

2. SwedishDude99

SwedishDude99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2013
    El Dorado County, Ca
    So are you looking for birds to protect your flock and birds to make your flock more interesting to look at?

3. gameandmore

gameandmore Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2013
    Fort Worth
    Maybe you could get ducks? I don't have any but I think they could look really cool in a flock mixed in with chickens.

4. SwedishDude99

Aug 20, 2013
    El Dorado County, Ca
    If you get ducks, I would house them separately from your chickens, simply because of the nasty wet mess they make with water. The dampness is not very good for chickens. You can let the ducks and chickens into the same run or let them freerange together, but I wouldn't house them in the same coop. That's just my preference of course, I know several people on here who house their chickens and ducks together and it works well. Good luck!

5. Mattsiewrt94

Nov 5, 2013
    I was kinda looking for both I thought about ducks but I wasn't trying to get a pool and all that

6. SwedishDude99

Aug 20, 2013
    El Dorado County, Ca
    Well for flock protection, you could get a rooster if you don't have one. Guinea hens work well too I've heard, but I've never actually owned any. As far as maki the flock more interesting, why not get some ornamental breeds such as silkies, polish, etc'?

7. Mattsiewrt94

Nov 5, 2013
    I have 2 roosters and the dogs still chase them my step gots 5 chihuahua that try to get them I wanted a turkey or something

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by