What to do with my half blind and almost deaf duck?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by bock, Jul 7, 2010.

1. bock

bock Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    Northern CA
    On March, 22 this year I got 10 ducks and 2 geese from Metzer Farms. One of the 2 crested ducks I got has some serious issues. She is completely blind in one eye, and is almost deaf (she can't hear the other ducks quaking) and she had a seizure once. They all free range on a large pond during the day, and come up the hill to a cage in the evening. When all of the other ducks and geese are safely up in their cage in the evening, the crested duck is swimming in circles in the middle of the pond quacking like crazy. [​IMG] In the 4 weeks they have been free ranging, she has only made it up the hill twice. Most of the time my dad has to go out in the kayak, while I wait to catch her on shore. Last night we got home late, and couldn't find her in the dark. As much as I hated to, we had to leave outside with the coyotes. Luckily she survived the night, but we can't go out an catch her every night. I could keep her up here by herself, but then she would quack all day (she is one of our loudest ducks) and it is REALLY hot out here in Summer. I want to give her away to someone with house ducks or something, but I am worried they wont really care for her. Please help me and my duckie! What can I do with her so she would be safe, and my Dad and I don't have to carry a boat down the hill EVERY evening?

2. chicken boy sam

chicken boy sam Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2009
    Awwwww......I feel so bad for her, but please keep her and give her the gift of life!!!!!!! (My opinion) This may be pricey, but try bringing her to the vet to see if there is any lotion or medication that would help the eye. I would also buy a dog kennel/pen and keep her in that with 1 or 2 of her ducky friends with a kiddie pool and grass and a little house. Also make sure that it's not on a hill at all so she can make it up around her pen. This is just my opinion and I do not own ducks although I do know how to care for them.......

3. bock

Oct 10, 2008
    Northern CA
    Thank you! I just got an idea, what if I bought another duck that wasn't ''quite right'' and keep them together in a cage. I will start working on a little cage for her under the Mullberry tree in my backyard so she can have some shade. She is awfully gentle, maybe I could put her with the ducklings I get next year when they are about 3 weeks old. [​IMG]

4. chicken boy sam

Dec 21, 2009
    That would be so nice......check your local shelters or petfinder.com to find some ducks for adoption that may need a "second chance"......that sounds great so it's nice and shady for her. If your lazy like I am you could buy a "dog igloo" for a duck shelter instead of building one....

5. crtrlovr

crtrlovr Still chillin' with my peeps

any possibility of getting her a younger friend now? I second chickenboysam's suggestion of getting her a kiddie pool and keeping her in an enclosure. Seems like she'd be much more secure and less stressed.

6. chicken boy sam

Dec 21, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2010
  7. bock

Oct 10, 2008
    Northern CA
    Thanks I will check out those links! [​IMG]

8. chicken boy sam

Dec 21, 2009
    Could you show me pictures of her?

9. katharinad

katharinad Overrun with chickens

Can you give her and another duck a private yard they can hang out in. I'm keeping some sometimes in the backyard where they will eat weeds and not poo to much. Can't have them all there or it will be a mess, but a few is good. Mine of course all want to be in the backyard and the other fenced acre is punishment in their minds. [​IMG]
    I would also suggest to stray away from crested ducks. They are cute, but the genetic mutation for the crest is causing a lot of problems like seizures etc. I may have to find a home for a few Saxony drakes in about 6 weeks. The ducks are still small and I have no idea what sexes we will end up with. They are really sweet and very smart. I'm only 2 hours north of Redding and gladly bring you a free one or two when I know exactly what I have. Today will be another hot day for all of us. I will keep all duckies in the backyard because of the large Ponderosa trees. Keeps them cooler.

10. chicken boy sam

Dec 21, 2009
    Quote:Did any of them catch your interest? I have a rescue about an hour and a half away from me, but the ducks must be in a super secure cage with a top on it and you have to be approved and everything............too much work for a pair of ducks.........although they're very pretty.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by