What To Do With My New Pullet Tonight??????????

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by WhiteCochinLover, Sep 17, 2011.

1. WhiteCochinLover

WhiteCochinLover Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2011
    Maryland
    I got a new pullet yesterday and all my other hens dont like her and sheis much smaller than them... she wont perch with them she just wants to sit in her pink kennel which is inside the coop.... and its going to be like 55 degrees tonight and i am afraid she will die of freezing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HELP ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [​IMG]

2. GoldDogsMom

GoldDogsMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2011
    Indiana, PA
    how old is she? Was she being kept outside before you got her? If she's fully feathered and has been in an outside coop she should be fine...

3. WhiteCochinLover

WhiteCochinLover Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2011
    Maryland
    Quote:The lady i got her from said she was 2 months and yes she has alot of feathers but not all her feathers ... I mean she is covered in them but not completely feathered out yet and she is a cochin bantam...

4. klmclain1

klmclain1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    Cover her kennel up with a beach towel or blanket.. she should be fine.

5. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

You need to quarentine her and then when that time period has passed introduce them slowly. Trying to introduce one new bird to an established group of hens almost never goes well for the lone bird.

6. dandydoodle

dandydoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2010
    georgia
    I try not to introduce new chickens until they are about 5 or 6 months old. I try to wait until everyone is about the same size. When I try to put them together I will put the new chicken in a dog pen inside the coop with the others. That way everyone can see each other but, no one gets hurt. I do this for about 2 days. After that I put large colorful toys in the coop for distraction then I will open the cage door. I found this makes things easier. I live the toys in the for a week or toy. Sometimes I will take it out earlier if everything is already okay.

7. dandydoodle

dandydoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2010
    georgia
    If you are worried I might turn on a heat lamp and put her little pink thing close to it.

Good luck

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by