what to do with my one lonely hen?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by jaylorm, Nov 2, 2014.

1. jaylorm

jaylorm New Egg

Jun 24, 2014
    Central New York
    I got two buff brahma pullets in July, my first and only chickens. This morning one of them was killed. Now I have one left and I'm worried she won't make it alone through the winter. I am wondering if I should find a home for her, or try and introduce her to another hen or two before winter sets in. I only have a 5x 15 run and a coop that isn't that big, so keeping them separate will be difficult, I've enclosed a picture of it from a few months ago. My brahmas did everything together and the remaining one has been pretty vocal all day, she is pretty upset, but I don't want to make things worse for her either way. Tonight the coop is 35 degrees and it's 33 outside, pretty cold and it's only November 2nd. I'm in Central NY and it will be cold for certain. I welcome any ideas or suggestions.

2. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Overrun With Chickens

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    Contact your local poultry club and see if you can talk someone into letting you have one or two birds, they do better in a flock.

3. jaylorm

jaylorm New Egg

Jun 24, 2014
    Central New York
    I was lucky enough to get a New Hampshire Red from the same place I got my Brahma's, she's very pretty and the same age. I was nervous introducing them, but they did quite well. I'm so relieved.

4. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Overrun With Chickens

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    good!

5. totem4

totem4 New Egg

Nov 8, 2014
    I too have one lonely hen and are looking for a couple of companions for her. We saw that someone has black Orvis Ords but I have never heard of them and cant find them online. Does anyone know what they are or anything about the breed?

6. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    I've never heard of them and Google turned up nothing. Perhaps you could email the seller and ask for pictures and breed info? If they reply, it would be wonderful if you could share that here. I'm very curious to know what they are!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by