What to do with my rooster...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by SarahFair, May 14, 2009.

1. SarahFair

SarahFair Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2008
    Monroe, Ga
    Today my Jersey Giant rooster 'pecked' me. He pecked me so good it left about an inch bruse on me..
    He likes me.. I dont understand why he did it.
    I was trying to gather up some chicks that I keep in a brooder at night but free range by day. They were all peeping and getting noisy about me picking them up. While I was bending over some plants he came and grabbed at my leg.
    It scared me more than it did hurt really..
    I jumped up and chased him around the yard till he ran in the coop where I pinned him to the ground till he quit wiggling then picked him up and held him for about 10 mins. I was sorta afraid he was going to peck my face though..
    IDK if he was just saying 'hey what are you doing to those chicks..leave them alone' or what.

Hes never pecked me. I pick him up and carry him around everyday! I talk to him and feed him. I love watching him come bounding across the yard when I call for him. Its the funniest thing to watch!

He does NOT like my children though. They are actually his size so I think he thinks they are aggressors. Hes attacked them both! I put him up before I even think about letting the kids in the backyard now..

IDK what provoked him. ....I do think it was my boots. When I wear them with shorts they are alot more flappy than when they are hidden behind my pants. They come up about half of my shin and leaves about 2 to 3 inches on the sides..
    That is kinda where he pecked me was right above the boot. Hes gone after my boot before.. IDK why picks such dumb things to pick on.
    My friends dog will chase my hens and snap at them and all he does is screetch about it. Doesnt try and protect them or anything.. (and dont worry that dog go a good kick in the butt by my boot!)

IDK WHAT to do with my roo..
    Hes probly about a year and a half now and his spurs are getting bigger everyday! (I keep reminding the bf to bring the drimel home..so that means hell bring it come fall [​IMG])
    Will this get worse or do you think hes just like any ol roo?
    I want to keep him cause I do love him..but I cant have him attacking me..or my kids.

2. kycklingar!

kycklingar! Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2009
    Linköping, Sweden
    I definitely think his concern for the chicks was a major factor. Our boys bite occasionally, sometimes for no apparent reason and sometimes for obvious reasons. But as long as you do just what you did (hug him for a while), it doesn't become a permanent issue of aggression. It certainly doesn't mean he doesn't like you anymore... he just had what I call "a rooster moment." [​IMG]

ETA: you can also file the spurs down if you're concerned. Just hold him in your lap, and take a good coarse nail or heel file to them until they're soft and round!

Last edited: May 14, 2009
  3. He is a roo. You are doing the right thing. pin him and carry him.

Sometimes I carry my big '0l Cochin roo by the feet for about 5 minutes (no longer as he is very big and I worry about his air sacs).

This seems to bring him down to a normal hormone level for a while.

If we would not put up with his crap, he would be in a pot. i truely believe he would not make it any where else.

He is old and he has a hard time breeding. He mostly stays in the barn and sleeps in the "silkie pile"

We love him, even though he is a turd.

4. SarahFair

Sep 23, 2008
    Monroe, Ga
    Yea I do think it was for the chicks
    ...but then again that would be the first interest hed show in any other chicken besides the two hens he mates.
    I have two younger pullets in there with the hens and roo and he doesnt give a flip about them and what they do..

5. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    IDK if he was just saying 'hey what are you doing to those chicks..leave them alone' or what.
    Probably
    He does NOT like my children though. They are actually his size so I think he thinks they are aggressors. Hes attacked them both! I put him up before I even think about letting the kids in the backyard now..
    Sounds like a good plan. One of the best explanations for this sort of behavior towards children I've read here at BYC.

IDK what provoked him. ....I do think it was my boots.
    SO there you go. Time for some nice rubber boots that don't "flap."

My friends dog will chase my hens and snap at them and all he does is screetch about it. Doesnt try and protect them or anything.. (and dont worry that dog go a good kick in the butt by my boot!)
    I mean, it's a dog - what do you expect a chicken to do! [​IMG]

IDK WHAT to do with my roo..
    Sounds like a good roo to me. Not too mean, but not a wimpy milk sop, either.
    I wouldn't do any more than you are currently doing.

Last edited: May 14, 2009
  6. highcountrychickens

highcountrychickens Head Rooster Jouster

Aug 28, 2008
    Jackson Hole
    Quote:[​IMG]

And I'm with Davaroo... he sounds like a good rooster in general, and probably had some protective mentalmones kick in with the chick herding... It's so funny how they pick their people, and stick with it.

Let me know if you ever decide to re-home him...

7. SarahFair

Sep 23, 2008
    Monroe, Ga
    Well Im glad Ive got a good one. He sure is special to me [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by