What to do with new chickens with the old ones?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by roxy2007, Oct 29, 2013.

1. roxy2007

roxy2007 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 26, 2013
    Escondido ca
    My Coop
    I have 3 chickens and 4 new chickens and I put a divider of chicken wire between them and the ones that I had before. And there's one chicken that is just trying to fight with my new chickens. And she ( Roxy ) my ameracauna girl got pecked by one of my new ones and it drew some blood, and it scared me because I love my chickens. The part that got blood drawn was on the beak by the nostrils so I cleaned it up a lil with some clean water.but they still keep trying to get each other. So I put a medium metal bunny cage in there and I put buckets on the sides where they could still get each other. But I really hope this works and they get used to each other. Is there something I could do to make them like each other better. Pls suggest something for me guys I want my chickens to be happy with each other and eventually get them all together as one happy family. Will they ever like each other? Will I ever be able to put them together without chicken wire? By the looks of it they don't seem to get along very well. Pls help me do something or do I just leave them alone unless blood Is drawn? Thanks everybody :) .
    If they don't get along I will have to give them away. :(. I have another ameracauna and a Rhode Island Red but they don't fight with them( that I've seen). Just Roxy. :/ Someone please suggest i will try and post pics of them. Thank you everybody.

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Below is a link to an informative thread on this. You might want to get some No Peck or BluKote or similar product, to mask minor wounds to prevent the birds from attacking the wounds.

Pecking order is a fact of life and generally they will just have to work things out fof themselves. Ideally, they don't draw blood, though, and you may have to separate a wounded bird til it heals.

If you can identify a lead "bully," you can remove it for a week or so, then reintroduce, and it will then be at the bottom of the pecking order. Often, flocks never really join into one. There can be a few groups who tend to hang around together, who tolerate each other being cloe but move apart when able.

Good luck!

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/803815/integrating-two-groups/0_20

3. roxy2007

Jul 26, 2013
    Escondido ca
    My Coop
    Thanks for your input I am going to do that.

4. roxy2007

Jul 26, 2013
    Escondido ca
    My Coop
    :) :)

5. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

CCCCCCCCHICKENS Overrun With Chickens

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    they are establishing a pecking order. If you dont let them stablish one then they are going to fight until they do.There may be a little blood shed but as long as it isnt serious dont intervene. Its a fact of chicken life, there has to be a pecking order.

6. roxy2007

Jul 26, 2013
    Escondido ca
    My Coop
    Ok thanks they havent done it in a while but the 2/4. Of my new chickens peck me eveytime i pick them up. Is this normal for new chickens? To new owners?

7. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

CCCCCCCCHICKENS Overrun With Chickens

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    Not all chickens like to be messed with. Not all chickens are good pets. they may become nice (they might not have been handled before). Give them time they may come around.

8. roxy2007

Jul 26, 2013
    Escondido ca
    My Coop
    Ok thanks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by