1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What to do with newly hatched chicks

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Sam i am, Aug 23, 2014.

1. Sam i am

Sam i am New Egg

Aug 23, 2014
    My silkie hen has been sitting on 3 eggs for a few weeks. Yesterday I noticed 2 little chicks in the nestbox when she came out for a drink. She returned and covered them and her 1 remaining egg for the rest of the day. Last night I moved the nest box out of the pen that she shares with a rooster and some pullets & hens, and put it in a safe warm trailer with food and water. Just wondering what the procedure is for the chicks... Can they go a few days without eating or drinking? Should I just leave them with her? If the 3rd egg is viable it should hatch within ?? hours/days? When should I expect the chicks to wander out of the box & start eating? Just wondering if I should do less or more in this case. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    The third egg will hatch depending on when it was laid in the nest. If it was added after the other two were set on, there's no telling. If the incubation started at the same time for all 3 eggs the other should hatch today or not at all. The chicks can go a couple days without food and water but the sooner they get nutrition the healthier they'll be. I don't know where you live but the place where you have her doesn't need to be warm. She'll provide enough heat for the chicks. The chicks won't come out till she leads them out and she'll show them what to eat and drink. Make sure starter feed and water are available all the time. That's pretty much all you need to do. Make sure they have good ventilation as well.

[​IMG]

3. Sam i am

Sam i am New Egg

Aug 23, 2014
    [​IMG]
    Thanks, great advice. I'll move them back outside to a safe pen and hope that little one hatches today. Weather's still quite warm here in Eastern Ontario.

4. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    I've had hens hatch chicks in the 30sF/0C with no problems.

ETA
    Make sure the chicks aren't eating layer feed. Starter will be good for the hen too.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by