1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

what to do with one lonely 2 week old chick?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Youneek Farm, Jul 14, 2011.

1. Youneek Farm

Youneek Farm Out Of The Brooder

Jun 10, 2009
    Kirksville
    Hi all, we have enjoyed watching our broody barred rock hatch and care for 7 baby chicks. They hatched 2 weeks ago but this morning, all but one baby chick were killed by a racoon or something that broke in last night. Our grown hens are safe in their coop but I know I can't give them a 2 week old chick to care for. Do we need to find another home (with other chicks) for our babe? I can't imagine raising just one chick alone and integrating her to the flock later.

Any helpful thoughts?
    Thanks

2. BairleaFarm

BairleaFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2011
    Georgetown, KY
    I would either try to find another chick to two to put with him or rehome him. I think he would get lonely.

3. jaketheeggman

jaketheeggman Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 4, 2010
    Green Bay WI
    buy it a friend

Last edited: Jul 14, 2011
  4. TnChickHen

TnChickHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2011
    TN
    If you lived a bit closer, I'd give you a few of mine. WE've got 17 chicks right now, some of which need homes!!

5. cobrien

cobrien Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2009
    Oakland, CA
    Was the 2 week old with its mom? If so can it still be with its mom in a more secure coop? I have never had 1 mom+1 chick but wondering if the baby would be okay without a sibling if s/he is with mom?

6. nobodyherebutuschickens

nobodyherebutuschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 20, 2010
    Erie, Colorado
    [​IMG] Sorry you lost your hen and babies. If you want to get it a friend, ask around your area. Someone might be willing to sell you a baby of roughly the same age. Until then, at least put a stuffed animal or something in with the baby and he won't get so lonely.

7. Youneek Farm

Youneek Farm Out Of The Brooder

Jun 10, 2009
    Kirksville
    Thanks for the well wishes. It's been a long day here. My kids have enjoyed babying the lonely chick today but we see it is very lonely now if not being held. I'm trying to find it a new home but I'm wondering, do you really think a stuffed animal would keep it company or was that just a joke?? Hard to tell on email. [​IMG]

I had a hard time getting all the laying hens in the coop tonight. No doubt they heard all the commotion in the brooder last night and were terrified to be contained nearby. PTSD

Thanks.

8. BoltonChicken

BoltonChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    Bolton, Mississippi
    I would either try to find another chick to two to put with him or rehome him. I think he would get lonely.

+1. Yep get another couple of little chicks.​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by