What to do with only 1 hen?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by tcnlisa13, Dec 26, 2011.

1. tcnlisa13

tcnlisa13 New Egg

Jul 24, 2011
    My family is new to chicken raising and got 2 chicks for Easter this year. We have had so much fun with them, and they have been best buddies, so I was heartbroken when the Buf Orpington died suddenly yesterday. Now the Americana is alone, and after reading other posts about chickens being pack animals, I don't want her to get lonely.

My friend has 24 hens and has offered to give us one to keep Tender company, or take her to join their family. I have no idea which solution would be the least traumatic for her, or for another chicken. What should I do?

2. StarLover21

StarLover21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2011
    Well do you want to keep her? I think i'd be better to get her a freind- that's one hen to get used to, not 24.

3. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    The real question is do you want to keep her. My vote is yes and to accept the offer of another hen. Honestly my real feelings, are just two? Good garden o' peas, you really should have more than two. [​IMG] Three at least, but I'd prefer six. Mixed breeds are fine and they do well.

I am sorry for your loss and hope you decide to keep your hen and get a few more. Lord knows if you were close by I'd give you a couple.

I wish you well,

Rancher

4. tcnlisa13

tcnlisa13 New Egg

Jul 24, 2011
    Yes, we def want to keep her! And I agree, after having the 2 hens we were thinking we should have gotten at least 3, but we were new to chickens and have a small coop, so we didn't want to crowd them. My husband is already planning on adding an addition this spring!

I'm wondering about the whole quarantine thing. My friend lives right around the corner (10 min walk) and has no other farm animals besides the hens. Do we still have to do a quarantine before introducing?

5. Johnn

Johnn Overrun With Chickens

Sep 5, 2011
    If i was you get another 2-3 hens in case any die and adleast she can be boss of them so it will make her happy [​IMG]

6. Johnn

Johnn Overrun With Chickens

Sep 5, 2011
    i have never did the quarantie thing never ever ever, and mine are all happy and healthy, if you trust they are healthy i would just pput them in but if you see any ill hens or they look ill then quarantie them [​IMG]

7. dweder

dweder Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2010
    Glen Ellyn, Illinois
    I highly recommend quarantining! There are so many things the other hens could be carrying that you do not have in your coop. If you can keep them seperate, with a fence, for a few weeks at least, highly recommended. Check her out head to toe. Every feather, comb, wattles, in her mouth, her feet, her vent and watch her poop for awhile. I would also deworm the new hen as well.

Just my advice. I would hate to see something happen to your poor Tender.

Danielle

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by