1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What to do with packing peanuts.

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by parkersmom120106, Feb 10, 2009.

1. parkersmom120106

parkersmom120106 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 9, 2008
    Middleburg, FL
    I got my order from ideal last Thursday, and they included 14 extra RIR males as packing peanuts. Well, everyone is alive and appear healthy. Even my little spraddle legged barred rock miraculously healed herself lol. I can't even tell which one it was. They're growing like weeds and already getting little feathers on their wings. I'm running out of room in the brooder, so I need to find someplace for the RIR males. Any ideas? I was going to post an ad to craigslist, but it's not letting me. It says that my account needs to be authenticated by phone, but then doesn't tell me how to do that when I click on the link. Grr. Is it hard to get rid of a bunch of boy chicks? Should I post them on the buy sell trade forum here?

2. Master S.M.C

Master S.M.C Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2009
    Maryland
    If you don't need them give them away, to your feed store or possibly sell on egg-bid

3. picklespickles

picklespickles Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2007
    it seems like there might be another way to authenticate besides phone. they didn't use to do that before all the spammers. most things i want to do on there, there seems to be another way. you can also post under "free" which is in the section that has furntiure,jewlery, etc for sale. you might not need an account to post there. techncialy you can't do free animals there, but people do it and they usually go very quickly so by the time someone flags you, you'll have probably taken the ad down yourself. thanks for addressing this issue early on and not letting them grow up to beat up on each other, your other animals, yourself, your kids, etc. and then be "so surprised" as people always seem to be when they've got a million roosters in one area. lol. good luck [​IMG]

4. parkersmom120106

parkersmom120106 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 9, 2008
    Middleburg, FL
    Thanks ya'll. I'll try posting under free on craigslist. Hopefully someone will take them all at one time to raise for meat or something.

5. picklespickles

picklespickles Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2007
    you are going to make some some nice, hardworking but not exactly rich person like myself very happy in your area.

6. spookyevilone

spookyevilone Crazy Quail Lady

Oct 5, 2008
    Minneapolis
    You could also try freecycle.org if CList won't let you list them.
    -Spooky

7. RendonRoo

RendonRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2009
    ft. worth
    now you have me scared. my order is coming this thursday and i'm not ready for fourteen extras. How many did you origionally order?

8. Master S.M.C

Jan 23, 2009
    Maryland
    She probably ordered about 11 or so, they add packing penuts to fill large hatchery boxes (total of 25)

9. Master S.M.C

Jan 23, 2009
    Maryland
    Sorry.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2009
  10. Judymae

Judymae Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2007
    Merit, Tx
    I ordered 24 from Ideal and they are due to arrive the week of Feb. 23rd. I shouldn't get any extras!!! Last time Ideal sent me only one extra and it was a BR (like the rest of my order) and it was female!! I was sooo excited to not get a baby roo!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by