What to do with rest of eggs and new chicks???

ameador1

In the Brooder
12 Years
Apr 4, 2007
St. George, West Virginia
I had 2 chicks that hatched out yesterday before bed time with one on the way(it had two small wholes made). 3 more were there this morning! Yeah!!! Anyway, when I put them on the bottom of the incubator at day 18, I candled them in the procss. About half of the eggs were completely dark below the air cell - all the way to the small end of the egg. But a batch of them - the other half - had the air cell and were solid dark in the rest of the egg, except a small area at the small end about the size of the air cell - maybe a little smaller.

I am taking this to mean that these chicks were a little behind the others in their growth. The rest of the eggs in the bator have no pips yet. My question is this, should I go ahead and move these chicks to the brooder and let the other eggs stay longer, or keep the chicks with them a while longer? The oldest chick was hatched around 2-3PM yesterday. I know they are supposed to be ok for 24 hours, but I hate to make them wait for food and water.

The chicks that are hatched are not fuzzy either. Their feathers are still moist looking - I think they are drying, but are not puffing up. Is this ok? Should I do anything with them when it is time to move them to the brooder to puff their feathers up if they haven't?

Thanks all!

Andrew

Last edited:
We are at 22-23 hours since first chick hatched - there are 6 eggs left to hatch. One has a pip, the others do not. Should I move the new chicks to the brooder?

If I hear nothing on the forums by 3PM today, I'm gonna move the newbies and let the rest incubate some more.

Andrew

You can move the hatchlings out quickly and leave the eggs a couple more days. Day 25 is about as long as I let them go. When you move the hatchlings you can candle the other eggs. If you see no movement or growth you can simply end the hatch there and be done. It is really up to you.

Thanks... I did go ahead and move the new ones out. We are still at one with a pip and the others with nothing. Hopefully we'll have some more in the next couple of days. We'll see.

We do have 5 that seem happy and healthy.

They have been drinking and nibbling, but not eating a notcable amount. Is this normal? Will they eat more in a day or two one absorbed yoke is more used up?

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom