1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What to do with Roos?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by mylilchix, Jul 16, 2008.

1. mylilchix

mylilchix Chillin' With My Peeps

Out of 22 chicks, we have at least 4 roos. 2 I definitely want to keep because they're sweeties. The other 2 I have a soft spot in my heart for and don't want to think about getting rid of them. Is there a way to keep 4 roos with 18 hens?

Thanks, Sonja

2. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    Your hens will appreciate only 1-2 roos in their coop. Much less stress for them. Love your extra little roos and find them a nice new home with a group of their own hens. Maybe you'll even get lucky enough to find them a big flock like yours, so they can go together.

Your other option (for your hen's sanity) is to build another coop for your extra boys.

Jody

3. mylilchix

We've got room, what size coop should I build for the extra 2? One I hate to get rid of because he's a runt and I had to dropper feed him for the first few days. I can't really bear to see him go. He's got a special place in my heart. The other 2 are so sweet, they have to stay. Roo #4 is a favorite of my ds.

Sonja

4. TexasJoe

TexasJoe Taking a break

Mar 3, 2008
    yup, if you leave too many roosters around, the hens will likely have less access to food, and in return the roos will tend to get their tail feathers pulled out by the hens :mad:[​IMG]

Build a seperate cage or atleast section the extra roos off with chicken wire.

5. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    Sure, you can keep as many roos as you want. Just rotate them.
    Make them a separate enclosure, a "bachelor run" where they can reside when not with the ladies. Then just bring each out to be with the girls as you see fit.
    The males in the separate run will normally behave nicely, as long as they are separate from the females.

6. mylilchix

So how big should their bachelor pad be? We've got plenty of space around our coop for an addition. Of course hubby may not be too happy if I suggest another construction project right now. [​IMG] Now that our coop is done he's got a llama shelter to build.

Sonja

7. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    Quote:For two roos? As big as you want - as big as possible. Couple hundred sq feet, I'd suggest.
    Llamas? Oh, lucky him.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by