what to do with rooster that broke a chip off his beak?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by MrViskers, Oct 1, 2011.

1. MrViskers

MrViskers Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2011
    Australia
    my Cochin rooster was pecking at ants i assume and his beak got caught into a gap in the concrete and it got stuck so I struggled to help him without any pain and when his beak was free. A small bit broke off will it regrow or should i give him medical treatment

2. melodie_a

melodie_a Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2010
    Sanford, NC
    If it is a small piece it will regrow. We had two not so bright chickens peck a fan when I put one in the coop when it got soooo hot this summer. They both got the ends of their beaks knocked off but they grew back just fine.... and I learned to mount the fan up in the corner of the coop away from shelves they could get to. [​IMG]

3. MrViskers

MrViskers Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2011
    Australia
    good to know, my Cochin seems to be doing well, the broken bit of the beak is not really visible and with his 'kids' ready to hatch sometime within the next week, I am pretty sure he is going to have a good time, if his Araucana 'girlfriend' even lets him see his little babies with the way he has been silly lately. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by