1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What to do with shavings from my coop from sick chicken?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by slahmswife, May 9, 2008.

1. slahmswife

slahmswife Out Of The Brooder

Apr 21, 2008
    Princeton BC Canada
    One of my hens died last night and I am in the process of cleaning out my coop. She was kind of lethargic the past few days and suddenly died last night. I don't know if, or what she might have been sick from. My 5 hens were given to me about 3 weeks ago. I was told that they were old, but not sure of their age. Anyway, can I burn the shavings from the coop or what? I don't feel comfortable composting them as I don't know what she was suffering from. All the others seem fine so far. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

2. stilwellchick

stilwellchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2007
    Stilwell, KS
    I would burn them. I guess you could bag them up for the trash pick up. Sorry about the loss of your hen.

3. mmajw

mmajw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2008
    Maine
    I would have a poop burning party.

4. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    I agree. Burn them.

5. slahmswife

slahmswife Out Of The Brooder

Apr 21, 2008
    Princeton BC Canada
    Thanks for the replies, I am burning away. Might take all day though, I only have a small fire pit.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by