What to do with shells?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by blueberry123, Aug 22, 2016.

1. blueberry123

blueberry123 New Egg

Aug 21, 2016
    The hen didn't seem to really know what she was doing so we put the pipped eggs in an incubator. 2 of them hatched just fine and 1 seems ready to hatch. Everything seems good but I am wondering if I should leave the hatched egg shells with them or should I remove them?

2. RubyNala97

RubyNala97 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 9, 2015
    Hudson Valley, NY
    It's totally up to you. There are 3 eggs all together and 2 of them have hatched? If the 3rd egg is not pipped then you can lift the lid and remove the egg shells if you like. I usually wait till there is a break in action and remove them but it doesn't hurt to leave them either. :) what happened with the hen??

3. blueberry123

blueberry123 New Egg

Aug 21, 2016
    The third egg hatched yesterday and all three chicks are doing well. We moved them to a new little area (after they were sufficiently dry) with a heat lamp and they have food and water as if they were store bought chicks. Sadly the hen just doesn't seem to be a good broody. The first chick to hatch ended up being crushed by her and we aren't sure if she's able to keep all of the eggs completely warm like she should. We are hoping some of the other eggs still under her start showing signs of pipping. We are letting her sit on them for now but if they do start pipping we move the eggs to the incubator to safely hatch. I think her main issue is that there are a lot more eggs than a hen would normally have. That's why we are just having her focus on the eggs for now. She seems to be doing better now with fewer eggs under her. Thanks for the help!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by