What to do with single chick?

_-Captain BRM-_

Post Tenebras Lux
Premium Feather Member
Feb 1, 2021
I had a pair of bantams that I kept with my quail. Well, we lost both the quail and one of the bantams this last week. I have a single fully feathered Batam hen left. My flock has a ton of teens in there right now and are already establishing a pecking order, so they gang up and attack her every time I put her with them. My goose is also being horrid to her. I can't slowly integrate her since she fits through the dog kennel bars. I could always put chickens wire around it though. But will she just always never be expected in the flock? I don't see it going any other way. Can I pair her with any other birds? I'm just not sure what to do anymore, help is very appreciated!

I had a pair of bantams that I kept with my quail. Well, we lost both the quail and one of the bantams this last week. I have a single fully feathered Batam hen left. My flock has a ton of teens in there right now and are already establishing a pecking order, so they gang up and attack her every time I put her with them. My goose is also being horrid to her. I can't slowly integrate her since she fits through the dog kennel bars. I could always put chickens wire around it though. But will she just always never be expected in the flock? I don't see it going any other way. Can I pair her with any other birds? I'm just not sure what to do anymore, help is very appreciated!
This is not a quick fix in the least. If you are going to integration her to any new birds, it requires slow introduction, In my opinion. My suggestion would be to build a temporary enclosure within your chick enclosure. If you have the space and materials.

This is not a quick fix in the least. If you are going to integration her to any new birds, it requires slow introduction, In my opinion. My suggestion would be to build a temporary enclosure within your chick enclosure. If you have the space and materials.
She is in the empty quail hutch right now. She can stay in there for the rest of her life if needed, but that would be miserable for her!

I can't slowly integrate her since she fits through the dog kennel bars.
Can the others fit through those bars?
If the bars will stop the other chickens, she might be able to use the dog kennel as a safe place to get away from the other chickens during integration.

I could always put chickens wire around it though.
Yes, that could work too.

But will she just always never be expected in the flock? I don't see it going any other way.
She might fit in better with time. Bantams often do fine with bigger chickens. Chickens don't seem to care much about who is bigger or smaller than who.

Can I pair her with any other birds?

Maybe you could put just one of the other chickens in with her for a bit. That way she would not be completely alone, but just one cannot gang up on her. (But watch in case she picks on the one you add.)

If that goes well, maybe add another one. You could work up, one at a time, until you have a big enough group to more easily integrate into the main flock. It's typically easier to integrate a group than a single one, and this could be a way to "make" a group that includes her.

Back
Top Bottom