What to do with spilled feed?

1Teacherchick

Songster
7 Years
May 3, 2012
Northern CA
My chickens spill feed all around the feeder. Should I leave it and hope they eat it? Clean it up periodically? If so, how often? Does it go bad on the ground?

I exchanged a 4H green feeder with the little multi-seperators for a red Little Giant that had a lip on the inside of the bottom pan and one of those little multi-separators also so they couldn't flick the food all over the ground....worked like a champ...also I only give them a bit more than they will clean up in a day, and dump the powder that collects in the bottom tray at the end of the week. Mine weren't flicking it side to side as much as scooping it towards themselves and over the edge and out on the ground, the little bit of a lip stopped the problem, no more food on the ground.

Yes, poor feeder designs plague most folks. The trash can lid kind of tray works well. But still, they've got to clean that up. Chickens seem to enjoy flipping feed out all over as a recreational activity. LOL. With high feed costs, it is imperative for most folks to both secure a good feeder and absolutely, force the birds to clean up their feed area before more is provided for their food tossing activities.
smile.png

HaHa! Food tossing activities is right!
big_smile.png

I'm going to get a round tray to go under it, then put the spilled food righ back in the feeder. Great idea!

Back
Top Bottom