What to do with spilled feed?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by 1Teacherchick, Jul 7, 2012.

1. 1Teacherchick

1Teacherchick Songster

May 3, 2012
    Northern CA
    My chickens spill feed all around the feeder. Should I leave it and hope they eat it? Clean it up periodically? If so, how often? Does it go bad on the ground?

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

3. 1Teacherchick

1Teacherchick Songster

May 3, 2012
    Northern CA
    Thanks, that helps! I love the name of the "Frankenfeeder". Funny!

4. Don't feed them until they clean up their mess.

5. lareynadenada

lareynadenada Songster

Nov 29, 2011
    Blackfoot Idaho
    Seriously? My chickens would probably all die LOL

6. Well, in almost 52 years of raising chickens, I've never had one starve itself to death when there is food, right there on the ground, for them to eat.

7. 1Teacherchick

1Teacherchick Songster

May 3, 2012
    Northern CA
    So you don't give more feed until the spilled feed is eaten?

8. Rhoise

Rhoise Songster

Apr 26, 2012
    Boise, Idaho
    I exchanged a 4H green feeder with the little multi-seperators for a red Little Giant that had a lip on the inside of the bottom pan and one of those little multi-separators also so they couldn't flick the food all over the ground....worked like a champ...also I only give them a bit more than they will clean up in a day, and dump the powder that collects in the bottom tray at the end of the week. Mine weren't flicking it side to side as much as scooping it towards themselves and over the edge and out on the ground, the little bit of a lip stopped the problem, no more food on the ground.

9. Yes, poor feeder designs plague most folks. The trash can lid kind of tray works well. But still, they've got to clean that up. Chickens seem to enjoy flipping feed out all over as a recreational activity. LOL. With high feed costs, it is imperative for most folks to both secure a good feeder and absolutely, force the birds to clean up their feed area before more is provided for their food tossing activities. [​IMG]

10. 1Teacherchick

1Teacherchick Songster

May 3, 2012
    Northern CA
    HaHa! Food tossing activities is right! [​IMG]
    I'm going to get a round tray to go under it, then put the spilled food righ back in the feeder. Great idea!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: