What to do with survivor

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jmemom, Dec 7, 2010.

1. jmemom

jmemom Out Of The Brooder

May 13, 2010
    My idiot dog got in and killed almost every single chicken I own today. I was able to find one lone survivor. The coop is a mess, she clearly can't go back in there. Right now I have her in my barn. It's very open, there is no way to coon proof very well for the night. She's in there with my cats (who love the chickens... er, chicken now I guess) and my goats. I'm wondering if leaving the lights on will help keep away the coons, etc. for the night. What do you think?

Thanks.

2. Cats Critters

Cats Critters Completely Indecisive

Do you have a dog/animal crate/cage? I would not trust a light to keep predators away.

3. RhodeIslandRedFan

RhodeIslandRedFan Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2009
    Central PA
    Quote:I agree. Keeping her in an open barn is taking a chance.

4. blueberrychickens

blueberrychickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2010
    Hudson, MA
    Awww.....poor thing must be so scared! [​IMG] I would bring her in the house & give her extra attention. They were born on my birthday.....so I feel so sorry for you. They must have been special girls for sure! Maybe she can spend the night in a closed bathroom or an extra large box?

5. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Please don't leave her alone in the barn for the night. I am surprised she's not shocky after what happened. Do what blueberry said

6. chkn

chkn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    cat or dog crate her

7. Knock Kneed Hen

Knock Kneed Hen California Dream'in Chickens

Feb 15, 2010
    So. Cal.
    If you don't have a crate stick her in the bathtub for the night on a thick towel or blanket. She'll be safe and warm and you won't have to worry about her all night. You'll both get some rest!

8. dandelionheart

dandelionheart Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2010
    Lafayette, Indiana
    [​IMG]
    Quote:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by