What to do with the eggs?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Capron09, May 18, 2011.

1. Capron09

Capron09 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 13, 2010
    I posted in the hatching forum and no one responded yet and now my post is trampled with new posts! lol I will keep it shorter.

MY BO mama has 9 in the nest. Question is what do I with them when they hatch? Do I let her raise them out or do I bring them in and raise them in my chick tub?

We live in Southwest Florida and have had record breaking highs so far. This week it dropped to the 80's instead of high 90's but with our humidity its about 90. Im just unsure what is the best thing to do is. if I do take them after they hatch, how long do I wait after they hatch to bring them in?

Thanks!

2. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Why would you mess with nature? That would be my perspective. While we do OK at raising chicks, I doubt we're as good as the real thing. Brooding with our modern technical equipment such as lights and such is a relatively new thing. For almost 3000 years, the hens did the work. My $.02

3. sdeneen2001

sdeneen2001 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2007
    Bellevue, WA
    BOs are usually good mama's. She did all of the work, l'd let her raise them unless there are problems. I'm w/ Fred, chickens have been hatching and raising chicks for thousands of years...

4. Capron09

Capron09 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 13, 2010
    Well thats what I thought but with all this bator talk I was confused. Do you think I need a light if the nighttime lows should be expected to be in the low 70's?

5. GoldenCometLady

GoldenCometLady Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Walker, West Virginia
    Mama will do a fine job of keeping them warm. Not to worry

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by