What to do with the hen trying to be mother of other baby chooks?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by gracienz, Jan 8, 2017.

1. gracienz

gracienz New Egg

Jan 8, 2017
    Hi,

I had 3 broody hens about 4 weeks ago. Two of them were set up in the broody hen box and they hatched out 7 baby chooks together. The other broody hen was sitting in the main house. Unfortunately all her eggs failed (not sure why? she was very devoted and eggs seem to be fertile). Now she's thinking she's the mother of other hens' baby chooks. She wasn't in the broody hen house during the hatching period, probably too timid to go inside where other two mother hens are. She sleeps right outside, and some baby chooks go under her.

I don't think it's a good idea for her to raise any baby chooks outside... What should I do with her? Introduce her to the broody hen box? Is it too late to break her broodiness?

Let me know what you suggest, thanks!

Gracie

2. silkie1472

silkie1472 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2016
    I have had this problem before too. What I did was put a wooden box, at first it was cardboard, on the ground and put them in it one night. From that point forward they went into the box at night and I would just close the coop door.
    [​IMG]

3. gracienz

gracienz New Egg

Jan 8, 2017
    Do you put this box back in the broody hen house, or by itself (basically another mini hen house)? Thanks!

4. silkie1472

silkie1472 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2016
    I just put the box right inside the door of the main hen house where nothing could reach through and get them. They did not like being moved away from the others.

5. gracienz

gracienz New Egg

Jan 8, 2017
    Great, thanks!

I will give this a go if I can't get her out of broodiness. I've set her up in the cage for breaking broodiness the day before, though I don't know if this will be successful. Currently two mother hens for 7 baby chooks are more than sufficient. If this doesn't work, I will set a small hen house for her before integrating with others :)

Gracie

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by