What to do with the Roo.

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by SassyT, May 22, 2010.

1. SassyT

SassyT In the Brooder

Jul 17, 2009
    Marana, AZ
    We currently have 5 Leghorn hens and 1 BR Roo (Ricky). We have purchased 13 new chicks and will eventually integrate them into the flock. My main concern is Ricky. He is not an aggressive Rooster but I am worried about putting the babes in with him. What advice can you offer on this?

2. suebee

suebee Speaks Silkie Fluently

Apr 1, 2007
    N. Carolina
    I would worry more about the hens than the rooter. My hens can get extremely aggressive towards chicks w/out a brooding mother to protect them. My roosters never really messed with the chicks. In fact, my older roosters will coax them over for treats or bugs.

3. SassyT

SassyT In the Brooder

Jul 17, 2009
    Marana, AZ
    I am worried a little about the hens. They are very aggressive ladies and I am not fond of the leghorns at all. They are so unfriendly and mean. I have a special name for them. We are actually considering breaking them up and giving them to friends. they are great layers. but that is all. Thanks for the advice I never thought the rooster would be the least of my worries. He won't try to mount them when they are young will he?

4. suebee

suebee Speaks Silkie Fluently

Apr 1, 2007
    N. Carolina
    No he won't try to mount them. Just keep an eye on them for the first few days. All roosters are different so just see how they interact, make sure the chicks have hiding places.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by