What to do with the shavings and poo out of the coop

gumpsgirl

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
11 Years
Mar 25, 2008
Virginia
I am just curious as to what others are doing with all of the wood shavings and poo from their coops. Can you compost those?
hu.gif
I am asking because I read on a thread somewhere on here (can't remember where
he.gif
) that it takes the wood shavings years to break down. I would really like to take advantage of the chicken manure for my garden. Any answers to this question would be greatly appreciated! It would help my DH feel better too!
smile.png

Oh YES! That is the REASON I first got chickens--- I needed more compost for my garden!!!! It is the best--- just remember that chicken poop is very hot and will burn plants if it is not composted first. Usually when I clean out the coop twice a year, I throw some grass and whatever other compost ingredients I have been collecting, water it down, and it is HOT (140*-160*!!!!) within just a few days.

Congrats on a fabulous compost source!

Quote:
Do you put yours straight into the garden out of the coop or do you compost it first?

Do you need to let the shavings and poop sit for awhile prior to adding to the garden soil?

Thanks

They are composting within your brooder from all the heat generated. I just would not put them on any crop you plan to harvest within the next 60 days. So, I would place them over your corn plot and lightly till them in prior to planting.

yes put it in your garden in the fall an plow it under.an do the samething in the spring.an it will build your soil up.

Back
Top Bottom