What to do with the shavings and poo out of the coop

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by gumpsgirl, Apr 23, 2008.

1. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    I am just curious as to what others are doing with all of the wood shavings and poo from their coops. Can you compost those? [​IMG] I am asking because I read on a thread somewhere on here (can't remember where [​IMG] ) that it takes the wood shavings years to break down. I would really like to take advantage of the chicken manure for my garden. Any answers to this question would be greatly appreciated! It would help my DH feel better too! [​IMG]

2. arwmommy

arwmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2007
    California
    Oh YES! That is the REASON I first got chickens--- I needed more compost for my garden!!!! It is the best--- just remember that chicken poop is very hot and will burn plants if it is not composted first. Usually when I clean out the coop twice a year, I throw some grass and whatever other compost ingredients I have been collecting, water it down, and it is HOT (140*-160*!!!!) within just a few days.

Congrats on a fabulous compost source!

3. bamadominaker

bamadominaker Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2008
    Honoraville, Alabama
    Get you some earthworms and put it in compost pile and they will speed up the process. i have cedar shavings and thats what I do. nothing like fresh chicken PooP. [​IMG]

4. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    I've been tilling (well, Hubby has) mine into the veggie garden for years...nice crops...

5. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    Put it in your garden and grow the best corn, potatoes or tomatoes you ever have witnessed. [​IMG]

6. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    Quote:Do you put yours straight into the garden out of the coop or do you compost it first?

7. Dilly

Dilly Cooped Up

Apr 15, 2008
    Do you need to let the shavings and poop sit for awhile prior to adding to the garden soil?

Thanks

8. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    They are composting within your brooder from all the heat generated. I just would not put them on any crop you plan to harvest within the next 60 days. So, I would place them over your corn plot and lightly till them in prior to planting.

9. HorseFeathers

HorseFeathers Frazzled

Apr 2, 2008
    Southern Maine
    COMPOST, baby!

10. wynedot55

wynedot55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    yes put it in your garden in the fall an plow it under.an do the samething in the spring.an it will build your soil up.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by