1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

what to do with this broody hen??

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by sunket77, Nov 18, 2009.

1. sunket77

sunket77 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2009
    Texas Hill Country!
    ok I have a free-range hen that has gone broody. I want to let her set but I am worried about the cold temps outside. I was going to move her into a safe place outside in a coop. But should I bring her inside? help!

2. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    Quote:What is the weather like where you live? I'd at least make sure she is in a secure area where predators can't get her. Sometimes when you move them they stop being broody. You'll have better luck if you can do it after dark, but it's still a risk. I'd do it anyhow if where she put her nest is too exposed to predation and/or bad weather.

3. sunket77

May 21, 2009
    Texas Hill Country!
    yes.. she is on the back porch! I got worried b/c I hadn't seen her for a couple of days. I looked everywhere for her and she was right under my nose! I don't think the dog even know she is there. And that is my big concern, predators and one being the dog. She is fine with the big birds but if she manages to hatch her eggs the dog might get the babies... not to mention she has gotten a hold of a few eggs and ate them up! The weather is in the 60"s now, I live in Central Texas and the weather is very unpredictable this year. It usually won't go below freezing, but then again it's Texas!

Last edited: Nov 18, 2009
  4. sunket77

May 21, 2009
    Texas Hill Country!
    how cold is to cold outside for baby chicks with their mama? I can set up a heat lamp for them in a small coop I can use for a brooder.

5. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    First, I'd suggest you follow this link. I think it will help you.

Isolate a Broody? Thread
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=213218

I agree. I would move her to a secure area. It is possible she will stop being broody, so I'd suggest letting her set in the new location a couple of days to make sure she has made the transition before you give her the eggs.

I would move her at night to an enclosed pen where she has a nest, her own food and water, and enough room to go poo without messing the nest. I would lock her in the pen so she cannot go back to the old nest. I think it helps them accept the new nest if it is a little dark, not pitch black but dark enough that she sees it as a secure hidden nest safe from predators.

I just saw your last post. I personally would not worry about a heat lamp unless it got down to near zero Fahrenheit. Mama will keep the eggs warm. She will also keep the chicks warm when they hatch. Her heater never has a power outage.

Exciting isn't it. Good luck![​IMG]

6. Kittymomma

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    I haven't had a broody yet....well I had one, but she stopped when I moved her, had to do it though since she was under the car trailer in the open field. My understanding is that they can take fairly cold temps. down around freezing anyhow as long as they can stay dry when it's that cold. Momma hen will gather the chicks under her and warm them up when their cold.

I wouldn't leave her on the porch with an egg eating dog (mine is too) She might give up on the eggs if you move her, but better that then a tragedy later.

7. sunket77

May 21, 2009
    Texas Hill Country!
    what do I do with the eggs in the mean time? And do I need "fake" eggs to make her set? all I have are a couple of golf balls. I am afraid it's to cold at night for the eggs to be ok without her

8. sunket77

May 21, 2009
    Texas Hill Country!
    Quote:thanks for the link! and yes I am excited!

9. Kittymomma

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    Quote:If she's been on the nest for a couple of days I'd move her eggs and all. They've already started to develop and won't be any good to eat or to put back under her if you take them away for a few days. You don't really have anything to lose by moving them with her at this point--it will work or it won't. Lots of luck! [​IMG]

10. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Quote:If she's been on the nest for a couple of days I'd move her eggs and all. They've already started to develop and won't be any good to eat or to put back under her if you take them away for a few days. You don't really have anything to lose by moving them with her at this point--it will work or it won't. Lots of luck! [​IMG]

I fully agree.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by