What to do with toes turned in?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Cynthia12, Nov 3, 2010.

1. Cynthia12

Cynthia12 Always Grateful Premium Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    I've never dealt with this before..the two middle toes of one of my new chicks has turned in middle toes...I put electric tape on them after trying several other things, couldn't keep them on! Is this ok..looks to be working,, is walking today..but am worried about the tape?
    Anyone try this? Thanks! Wondering if I should take it off tonight, put it on last night, not sure how long it takes those rubbery little toes to straighten out... don't want to cause more harm than good. The one was pretty bad..turned almost to a curl...

2. chkn

chkn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    Somebody had a nice thread here with pictures for making a shoe. One had two pieces of clear tape, sandwiched sticky together, with the toes visible in between. I guess the point is to straighten the toe and then make the sandwich. All toes are set in a fairly natural but 'splayed' position (think of those little styrofome toe wedges for pedicures that keep the nails and toes from touching, only in this case toes are between two pieces of tape and the sticky parts in between are pressed together so the toes can touch each other).

3. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

4. oesdog

oesdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    Ireland
  5. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Quote:Wow that website is inCREDible. I bookmarked it! Thanks for sharing that with all of us! OP, I hope all goes well.

6. oesdog

oesdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    Ireland
    I found this when our Vet told me to kill my baby chick she has a curved breast bone.

So I am only too glad to share as if I didn;t go trawling whats out there, my girl would be dead!!!! For no reason by a Vets advice, someone who didn;t know what could be done!!!!!!!! It is like this if you love your chickens you usually have to treat them yourself!!!!! My Vet didn;t even offer euthanasia even though I told him SHE was a pet ( Like any dog or cat) But he just basically wanted me to go away and break her neck!!!! She is well and running round now because I got advice and help from the folk on that site!!! Also the Avian society helped me too.

Oesdog

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by