What to do with too many Silkie roosters

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by pasolady, Dec 20, 2013.

1. pasolady

pasolady Just Hatched

Dec 13, 2013
    East Texas
    I have 2 silkie roosters that were supposed to be girls. What to do with them? I can't seem to even give them away. They are nice just not what I need. Any suggestions or does anyone in east Texas want some free Roos?

2. Ramblin Rooster

Ramblin Rooster Hatchaholic

Apr 14, 2012
    Fairfield, Connecticut
    I would try selling them on craiglist or here on BYC. Post an ad in the BYC rehoming section.

Good luck! [​IMG]

3. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    X2 on try your local Craigslist and your state thread on BYC. Also your local feed stores/mills if they have bulletin boards etc (some feed stores will take back roosters you bought from them also). Since Silkies are more pets might try your vet if they know anybody will a small flock looking for a roo. Also local 4-H clubs if they are showable and might be used as a project bird. Even if they are small, would you consider processing them yourself, they would be food for soup.

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Folks around here can't seem to give them away, either. If you've exhausted your advertising efforts, it's fine to just put them down. You can eat them or not, or see if someone who feeds a raw diet to their dogs wants them. It's also okay just to bury the carcass and use it for fertilizer.

5. BrickWall Honey

BrickWall Honey Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 24, 2013
    Accomac, Va.
    Check and see if there are any "swaps" in your area. Lots of folks with over supply of Roos and hens are there and most of the ones I've been to it seems they find a new home. Put a regular price on them or swap for something, don't say free as then people get an idea there is a health or other issue. good luck with finding them new homes.

6. pasolady

pasolady Just Hatched

Dec 13, 2013
    East Texas
    That is good to know. I have exhausted all avenues of finding
    them homes and I'm not comfortable with processing them myself and eat. Next time I'm only buying pullets.

7. BrickWall Honey

BrickWall Honey Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 24, 2013
    Accomac, Va.
    Unless you pick up some sex-links it will be possible no matter where you get them that you'll end up with an extra Roo or two. Some folks have reported buying a dozen pullets and ended up with all males later. Good luck to you and hope they find a nice home.

8. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    Eat them-they taste like chicken

9. flockanuts

flockanuts Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG]

10. Bert2368

Bert2368 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2013
    East central MN
    I bought straight run, and ended up with almost 1/2 roosters. That was FAR too many, the hens were being run ragged and the pecking order squabbles never ended.

As noted, they do indeed "taste like chicken"

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 25, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by