What to do with unwanted egg? HELP!!

ChickenLove6

Songster
7 Years
Jun 24, 2012
England, Leamington spa
My light sussex bantam has just hatched out six chicks, but their is still one chick to hatch. I candled it a few days ago and it was healthy and moving inside the egg. Sadly my hen has decided to get off this egg and walk around with her new babies. What should I do!? I don't want this chick to die!
Thanks so much in advance!!!

No
hit.gif
I don't even have an incubator to put it in! All I have is a heat lamp and a hot water bottle!
hmm.png

Yes you could try a towel, and a bowl of water to raise the humidity. How many days left before hatch? Unfortunately momma hen had to make the decision to leave this one to save the rest of her babies.i have had to bury eggs in the past so I feel for you.

This might be a dumb question but I am new. What would happen if you take the chicks away from the hen? Would she sit on the last egg?

Were all the eggs set at the same time?
It's a long story but...on the 7th of July I noticed my hen had gone broody. I looked under her and noticed six eggs were there. Then I noticed about 4days later there was an extra egg. I didn't know what to do so I just let her have it and thought that she would keep sitting on the egg until it hatched. Sadly I was wrong, and now I am in this situation.

Back
Top Bottom