What to do with unwanted roos ???

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by common coop, Nov 4, 2010.

1. common coop

common coop Out Of The Brooder

Jun 26, 2007
    Granby
    I have 4 Barred Rock roos - included for warmth? - in my summer order for guineas and Orloffs from Natures Hatchery. I have listed them everywhere - no takers. I have 3 roos already in my group of about 40 hens -- and 2 of the Orloffs are roos - which I will also keep. Is this a sign from above -- that I am ready for the next stage of hen-keeping - called culling. These guys are big -- and taking up valuable space in my brooder coop ( I just picked up 4 Faverolles yesterday - and am tickled salmon to have found them ). Anyone out here in western MA -- willing to lend some moral support ..?
    Any advice in general?

2. Clay Valley Farmer

Clay Valley Farmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2010
    Edit (BTW you may get more help posting this to the flock management or meat sections)

You tried to rehome them, so with no takers, I think they should be considdered fit for the table.

Not the easiest thing to do first time when they have become part of your life, but lots of good info posted here on processing them.

Keeping 4 extra unwanted roos in the flock can cause problems for the rest not to mention a danger to your new chickens.

Unless you wanted to and have the space to start breaking up the flock to give each roo his own group of girls you could put them out in a batchlor group by them selves but they would be just eating food for no real gain to you.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2010
  3. codymax2

codymax2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2010
    Liverpool, NY
    You should eat em!!! It's not easy the first time (we just did it a couple of weeks ago) but it is very fulfilling and tasty! I can't look at my chickens the same now they just look GOOD to me hahaha!

4. Lil' Roo

Lil' Roo Out Of The Brooder

Jul 25, 2010
    winner winner chicken dinner

5. jenjscott

jenjscott Mosquito Beach Poultry

May 24, 2008
    Southeast Arkansas
    Did you try craigslist? Show up at the farmer's market? or flea market?

6. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Yes, you are ready for the next stage of hen-keeping. You knew it was coming; wiser than some on here.

A few years ago I bought straight run to start a flock, intending to put most of the roos in the freezer. I hadn't processed a bird for 30 years and had been a vegetarian for several years during that time. Wasn't nearly as much of a shock as I expected. Kinda fun to do the cleaning, actually, and they do taste amazing.

You know the drill, I gave them a good chicken life -- it's so true.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 4, 2010
  7. marymac

marymac Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2008
    Northeast Ohio
    it's never easy. I had 2 beautiful BLRW roos which I tried to sell for 5.00 each, but had no takers . They were about 31/2 mths old, and I hated butchering them, but I thought about the feed I had in them and yea I could have offered them for free, but if I done that they might get eaten any way and if anyone was gona eat them it may as well be me. I can do the plucking and cleaning but I still won't do the killing. It's just a fact of keeping chickens , you have to do something with the roosters.

8. Clay Valley Farmer

Clay Valley Farmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2010
    I thought about the feed I had in them and yea I could have offered them for free, but if I done that they might get eaten any way and if anyone was gona eat them it may as well be me.

I like how you said that, well said!​

Last edited: Nov 4, 2010
  9. MomMommyMamma

MomMommyMamma Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    West Virginia
    We purchased several straight runs of chicks last year and ended up with 7 roos. Some friends who are local farmers taught us how to butcher a chicken. That took care of 3 roos. We had one roo that we all grew very attached to. He just has a great personality and was fun to watch. Listed him multiple times here and on craigslist. No takers. Even for free. Finally listed him w/ a hen and that was the ticket. Not many people want just a roo - but they will take a pair (hen & roo). I also found my buyer (yeah! was actually able to sell him & 2 hens for $15) in the Wanted To Buy area here. The guy had posted that he wanted hens but would consider a roo also if they were bonded. We were so happy to be rehoming to a home that wanted him.
    Still have a Buckeye and some smaller roos. I have heard that Freecylcle is good too if you are OK w/ no money for them.
    We're still deciding on the Buckeye. He's young but large. Lookin' kind of tasty these days and we really love the Buckeye hens and don't want to part w/ them.

Good luck whatever you decide! For us, learning to butcher them was something we wanted to know. Wanted our kids to learn (they wanted to know - no forcing or anything). You never know when you might need that skill.

10. common coop

common coop Out Of The Brooder

Jun 26, 2007
    Granby
    Thanks for all the encouragement --

I feel the same way -- wanting to be responsible about the creatures I take on. I have had to put a few girls down - because of illness and such -- but haven't processed anyone yet. Guess - I've been looking for someone local -- to walk me through it. It sounds like it's always a hard thing to do -- the first time. But -- I know I need to develop the 'art' of it -- to do it skillfully -- and responsibly. Just have to get my head around it --

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by