What to do with wild muscovy ducklings that won't attach to a brood?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by miro, Jul 23, 2013.

1. miro

miro Hatching

Mar 4, 2012
    Hey everyone.

I'm in Florida near a lake, and baby Muscovies have been hatching like crazy - the heron and hawk stopped picking them out for some reason so now we have a lot. But. We have these two really young Muscovy ducklings, I'd say about a week or two old, who just huddle together and seem to ignore everyone else. After a couple of days noticing they kind of go their way, my partner found them in the grass yesterday, he even said one ran toward him, and took them in. We kept them overnight and gave them bird seed, bread crumbs, and water. They didn't eat much, they seemed to go more for the bread crumbs even though the other ducklings vacuum the bird seed as fast as they can. For the most part these two just huddled next to each other and slept. Didn't chirp much at all either

This morning I let them swim in the sink with warm water for a bit, but they just sat there. Didn't prune or wash or anything. Then I put big see-trough plastic bin full of water outside on the balcony and a way for them to go in and out of it, but again they just floated in the water. So I took them out and left them to roam the huge balcony and left seed all over it for them to find. After 2 hours they still just huddled next to each other..

So finally I just took them outside and put them in the lake next to a brood of ducklings their age but they just ignored them, and even swam away from them.

Usually at their age these ducklings would squeal and try to attach to any one they think is their mom but these two aren't like that. I tried catching them again but this time they are swimming away and once they think they're far enough they'd stop and just sit in the water.

Not sure what to do with them. I hate to just leave them out like that, though they do know where we leave the bird seed near the water and it's hotter than hell outside.

Might they be sick?

2. miro

miro Hatching

Mar 4, 2012
    here they are
    [​IMG]

3. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life Premium Member

Might be sick then again this might be all that's left of their brood and is the reason they are sticking close together, and plain bird seed isn't too healthy, why not get a waterfowl feed or some kind of scratch that's has other things in it besides the cracked corn. scratch only if waterfowl feed isn't available. Looking at the pic of them they don't look sick but hard to tell by pic. They may have tried to link up with a mama duck and her brood already and were chased off is another reason they aren't trying real hard to bond with other ducklings besides themselves. Very sweet of you to want to help them but in my own flock of Scovy's an mama duck will not accept another's ducklings. Sometimes you just have to let things play out, at their young age they probably won't make it but except for bringing them inside and brooding them till old enough to be on their own not much else you can do but hope for the best for these lil ones. Thanks for caring, it seems Muscovy's aren't thought to well of in a lot of places [especially Fl. so it's nice to see some do still care.[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 23, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by