What To Do?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Trophamus, Aug 13, 2010.

1. Trophamus

Trophamus Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2010
    Nottingham, UK
    I have these 2 chicks who are still in the shells, one has pipped a head hole and is now waiting there but it appears to have pipped as far as it can reach, when i try to pull back a bit of the membrane there is some blood.The other one has done the same except its twisted so that its stuck between its leg/wing and there is quite alot of blood from where it pipped itself and it bleeds if i try to help. So i just need to know what you think i should do just leave them even though they can't get out or help them though im worried of blood loss?

thanks, mia

2. NaomiSarah

NaomiSarah Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2010
    Stop helping the second you see blood.

How long ago did they pip, initially? It can take 36 hours from pip to hatch.

3. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I'd leave them alone if there's blood. I don't help chicks hatch because most of the time you do more harm than good by trying to help.

4. Trophamus

Apr 22, 2010
    Nottingham, UK
    They were pipped yesterday with bigger pips today, the problem is one of them looks well and truly stuck.

5. NaomiSarah

Jul 4, 2010
    I don't help unless there's a full zip over halfway around. At this point, with as many failed helps as I've done, if they can't get zipped then I don't bother trying to help because if they don't die in the shell I might kill them helping. So I leave them alone until zipped, or let them die in shell, sadly.

If there is still fresh blood, then there is still blood flow and the chick still has time before it's fully ready to hatch. Just a few drops of blood lost can be fatal to a chick and if there's still blood then the chick is still getting energy from the egg. If the blood is bright red, it's likely the chick is still using up it's yolk energy.

6. Trophamus

Apr 22, 2010
    Nottingham, UK
    okey then, i'll leave them over night and see how they are mabye it is just not meant to be, on another note, they are 2 chick that hatched round lunchtime in there running around and they keep knocking all the eggs so there rolled over there pips(the other egss in there not just the ones i wa talking about) they are allready fluffy should i remove them so they don't do any damage or leave thm for the company?

7. NaomiSarah

Jul 4, 2010
    If they're dry you can snatch them out quickly and put them in the brooder, but I try not to do that if other eggs have exposed membrane. Rather have them footballed around a little by other chicks in the "nest" than have the membranes dry and stick to the ones still trying to hatch.

8. Trophamus

Apr 22, 2010
    Nottingham, UK
    thanks [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by