1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What to do?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by rooster brandon., Sep 29, 2010.

1. rooster brandon.

rooster brandon. Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2010
    Kodak, by knoxville
    what do i do to fresh eggs to make them clean do i just wash them or use bleach or what?

2. FlashPointFarm

FlashPointFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2009
    Iowa
    Wash them under running water, as hot as you can stand.

3. rooster brandon.

rooster brandon. Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2010
    Kodak, by knoxville
    Thank You!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!got My First Two Eggs In First Two Days!!!!!!!!!!

4. Break an Egg

Break an Egg Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    San Antonio
    rooster brandon. :

Thank You!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!got My First Two Eggs In First Two Days!!!!!!!!!!

congrats Brandon [​IMG]

5. Qi Chicken

Qi Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2009
    If you keep the nest boxes clean the eggs are usually clean too. We almost never have a dirty one and I don't do anything special to the nest boxes except add new shavings when they get thin and dust them with DE when I think about it. The first eggs usually have a little streak of blood on them but are fine after that. They do sometimes have feathers or shavings stuck to them because the egg is wet when it falls out. This is called the bloom. This is a barrier that prevents bacteria and other stuff from entering the egg. When you wash an egg you wash off the bloom and it should be refrigerated if you do this. If you don't wash it you can store it on the counter just fine for a couple of weeks. Just brush off the shavings and the feathers. Once the egg dries it is easy.

ps congrats on the eggs!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It really is fun!

6. TK421

TK421 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2010
    Central TX
    Quote:I'm right there with you! I was actually jumping up and down in my backyard. Picture my suburban neighbors watching me through their windows. (They haven't figured out what I've been staring at for the last 22 weeks!)

7. tuesdays chicks

tuesdays chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    stuart florida
    I don't wash my eggs unless they are dirty, and that only happened yesterday because I picked it up with a muddy hand (rain), they say they last longer if not washed, though my eggs don't last long anyway my son actually bought eggs yesterday because I keep taking them to work and eating them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by