1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What to do?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Chickerdoodle13, May 1, 2008.

1. Chickerdoodle13

Chickerdoodle13 The truth is out there...

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    I recently posted an ad on craigslist advertising the sale of a turkey hen and budapest pigeon. I got a few replies, but the one guy/girl who wants the pigeon says he is interested in getting a pair of trio from me, but wants to know if I can deliver them because he cannot drive due to a disability. All around, I just do not like this idea.

I sent back an email asking if there was any way they could find a ride to pick up the bird here because it would be too far to drive to where they live. They live an hour+ away. I'm not going to waste $30 in gas to deliver a $15 bird! I even mentioned that. I thought this would deter them, but then they sent an e-mail asking if I could meet them somewhere and he once again brought up the fact that he has a disability and since they are always home, he wants some pigeons.

It almost seems somewhat fishy to me. However, I will not deliver a bird to someone unless they are a friend, I am trading, or going to be in the area they live. I want to tell them this, but how do I do it as not to hurt their feelings, in case they really are disabled? If the person could come and pick up the bird that would be fine. But I've never delivered before, and I'm not about to start now!

Thanks!

2. Flufnstuffs~FluffySilkies

Flufnstuffs~FluffySilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    NY
    Trust your instincts

Go with your gut feelings...

BE CAREFUL

3. Chickerdoodle13

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Yeah, I would have no problem with this guy coming to the house to pick up the birds. The family would be home, there is plenty of protection, and a big grouchy dog LOL. However, I DO have a problem with going to someone's house, even with a friend or a family member. When I go to pick up birds that I am buying, I always talk to the person a lot before hand so that I can get to know them, and they get to know me. AND I always bring a friend or family member with me.

Anyways, I'm just trying to figure out how to do this diplomatically. I would feel bad if he actually has a disability, but I also have a funny feeling. However, I already outright said I would not deliver. Sooo...now I'm at a loss.

4. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Beware. Just say sorry and you don't deliver. Done and done. If they really want them, they will get them.

I've had lots of run arounds on craigslist. When I do a drop off or feel something is fishy, I meet them at a very big public place between a shopping center, and bus stop, that is highly patrolled via the city due to other problems which is not too far away from where I live. After the drop, I will usually go shopping and around town for a bit too. Maybe I'm paranoid? Better safe than sorry, armed and ready.

5. Dodgegal79

Dodgegal79 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 1, 2007
    Princeton BC Canada
    Yes follow your gut. There was a warning here about people selling stuff to not be home alone as a woman was assulted by a guy that came over to buy something. She was home alone. Always be carful and never go alone or be alone when dealing with strangers.

6. Chickerdoodle13

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    I just sent this (Hopefully it does the trick):

Hi there,

I just don't think it will work out for me to meet anyone to deliver birds. As a rule, I usually deal with pick up only's, as it would just be too much driving for me and not worth the price I am selling the birds for. However, if there is anyway you would be able to arrange for pickup at my house, I would love to sell this bird to you. I only have one now, but may have more in the future.

Let me know if there is any way you are able to get a ride, but I am very sorry I will not be able to deliver. I'm sure if you post a want ad for your area, someone will reply! Pigeons are extremely common in our area, especially if you just want them for pets.

Thank you,

~Lauren

7. Chickerdoodle13

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Oh boy, I just got another email from them. I just don't know why anyone would want to travel an hour + for a $15 pigeon! LOL I'm just going to play it out. I just don't like the fact that they are writing such short emails though. I guess that is what really gets me. Oh well. I'll keep you guys updated!

8. shortcake1806

shortcake1806 Sassy McSassington

Sep 11, 2007
    Could you possibly tell him the bird is no longer available? I think in this situation you really need to trust your instincts.

9. chickenannie

chickenannie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    People can be very manipulative. You've stated your conditions and they're just fine. Don't let them make you feel like you're not doing enough. Yes, trust your instincts!

10. Chickerdoodle13

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Yeah, I sent one more e-mail. If this guy keeps sending more, I will tell him I've decided to keep the bird, which may end up being the truth anyways! That or I could just not reply to his messages.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by