What to do?

StevenW.

Crowing
13 Years
Oct 7, 2010
Central, Illinois
To start I just vaccummed and Shampooed all the carpets in the house for the 4th time this week! (I will NEVER have carpet in my house when I'm older.)
We have 3 Dogs, A Boxer (Puppy), A Cocker Spaniel (About 1 year and a half), and a Sheltie (10-11 years old.)
NONE of these dogs are mine and I somehow end up takeing care of them??
The cocker Spaniel is my moms and she pees and poops where she pleases.
Since the boxer is a puppy I can understand that he will have accidents every so often BUT he's my sisters dog and my sister is gawd aweful lazy! I asked her how many times she took him outside and she didn't say anything I had to repeat myself 3 times then yell at her because she was ignoreing me, Shes like not since this morning... I said well it's 3:00 p.m. now! She mumbled then set her laptop down then took the dog outside. No wonder he doesn't understand to go potty outside!
The Sheltie is my older sisters dog which she had a baby last year and since "Callie" (The Sheltie) is getting older she doesn't like small children well she nipped him one day and drew blood from where she bit him so she ended up staying here for the rest of her life.

The reason I don't have any dogs is because I was attacked by a huge mutt dog and it took a chunk out of my arm when I was 5. Do I want to be around dogs? No. Do I have to? Yes.
I have talked to my Mom and Sister to do something with them because this is out of control! It usually just turns into a big fight which goes down the drain. The house smells so aweful I can't stand it! We have ton of those Air fresheners and they just mask the smell it doesn't get rid of it. My dad agrees with me all the way around about putting the 2 dogs outside. (The Cocker and Boxer.) I've been more than helpful takeing care of these dogs and I just am fed up with it.

I'am much happier with Birds. (That are Outside!) I don't think I can take it much longer with all the Meds I'm on.

as long as one of the dogs is pottying in the house, the boxer will think it is ok to do the same. It takes a LOT of cleaning to get the urine smell out. My first suggestion would be that the dogs be crated until they are ALL housebroken.

Of course, it's easier to train dogs than people so that's going to be an uphill battle.

Quote:
That's what I would be afraid of. If we could just deal with the dogs, life would be easier
smile.png

Jesus, makes me want to whack your sister upside the head. She needs to start potty training. Animals need to go to the bathroom just like she does! Why do you have to take care of dogs owned by your sister and your mother? Is this your house or are you living with your parents and just picking up the brunt of the care?

Why does the spaniel go everywhere? Was she never potty trained either?

My parents do have one dog that when they adopted at age two, she had major issues potty training. Hard but it can be done! She as a beagle who'd been through FOUR homes before ours, and just had no idea what to do. She's eleven now and still has the occasional accident, but firm potty training and recognizing her signals saved our carpets. We still massively praise her like a puppy as soon as she goes outside, she needs that positive reinforcement.

I am with the suggestion that all traces of feces and urine have to be removed from the house, in addition to crate training. It sucks, but you may have to buy a special light that illuminates the stains and clean them VERY WELL. Maybe make your moron sister do it or something. Though she may do it half arsed and not clean it well.

Quote:
Parents house... Well lets say its Dads house since he pays all the bills.
The Cocker is potty trained BUT as I said she's my moms dog and mom is the laziest person when it comes to getting up and going outside..
I clean the house every week. Everything includeing scrubbin floors, washing the walls, Laundry and etc. I'm kind of an Cleaning Nazi....

I swear the Duck Coop smells better than this house.. The Duck Coop smells like Pine Shavings and Hay.

Quote:
We might as well pull up the carpet and put down tile since we have some left.
I will have either tile or wood floors in my house later on in life.

Quote:

Non carpeted floors do make cleanups a breeze. My current house I live at has wood floors. Just this morning my cat went "herkherkherkhairball!"
roll.png
. Didn't get the newspaper under her face in time, but she did do it on the wood. And it just looks nicer than carpet, since even an accidental coffee spill can cause carpet to stain and look nasty.

Quote:

Non carpeted floors do make cleanups a breeze. My current house I live at has wood floors. Just this morning my cat went "herkherkherkhairball!"
roll.png
. Didn't get the newspaper under her face in time, but she did do it on the wood. And it just looks nicer than carpet, since even an accidental coffee spill can cause carpet to stain and look nasty.

I had a cat and she would only puke her hairball on my bed for some odd reason. Lost her last year to cancer she was only 3.
sad.png

Try one of these products for the smell:
http://www.petsmart.com/search/index.jsp?kwCatId=&kw=natures miracle&origkw=nature's+miracle&sr=1
I'm sorry I can't really help you beyond that page but you should be able to ask a salesperson which item would work best with your problem (I'd reccomend going to a store if you're near one). My sisters cat would pee on my bathroom door for months, my room smelled like cat pee. The pee concetrated in the area right under the door as it would drop down. One big dose of the reccomended product and my carpet smells clean and my room fresh!

As for dealing with your mother and sister, the only thing I can think of is getting your dad involved. your sister may at least have to get responsible or get rid of the pup (maybe suggest it stays in her room only until it is potty trained). If she isn't going to potty train the Boxer pup figure the odds that she'll socialize, walk and train it properly. Mention it to your dad about how having a 60-70 pound hyperactive dog jumping on you won't be fun (not to mention the size of the poop). Ask your other older sister to find a new perminant home for her dog after explaining the situation and your frustration, if she says no, ask for permission from you dad to find a good home for it. Ask your dad to talk to your mom about the cocker. I highly doubt he likes the smell of the house any more than you do. You may not be able to knock some sense into her but he may. If your dad isn't on board with you(though it sounds like he is), then talk about installing a dog door. If your yard isn't get a kennel and attach it to the dog door.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom