What to do?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by iluvfamly, Aug 1, 2013.

1. iluvfamly

iluvfamly New Egg

Mar 22, 2010
    I have a hen that has been setting on eleven eggs. 2 of them hatched 3 days ago. We went out this morning and they were dead. I don't know what happened. Where we live we have fire ant problems. Of course the dead chicks were covered with ants. I don't know if the other 9 eggs will hatch. Yesterday was 21 days. I'm worried now that the ants will be in full force now and kill the new chicks if they hatch.

Another question: I haven't seen the mother hen getting off the nest since the chicks hatched. Her comb is not red anymore. Do I need to take her off the nest and take her to food? She had been getting up and eating before the chicks hatched. Any advice would be appreciated.

2. ChickenLove6

ChickenLove6 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2012
    England, Leamington spa
    I would move the hen and the eggs to somewhere else. Maybe a garage? a shed? or a spare room you have? You can easily just put her in a cardboard box, big enough for her to stand up and move about in and then put the remaining eggs under her. This would hopefully get the ants away. Keep an eye on the eggs and if any hatch, keep watching the hen to see how she reacts. She may have been the one who killed the chicks, so if she looks angry towards the chicks, take them away.
    Don't take her away from her eggs/chicks to give her food and water, bring it to her. If you take her off the nest to the food, this might break her broodiness. Good luck!

3. iluvfamly

iluvfamly New Egg

Mar 22, 2010
    Thank you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by