What to do??!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by korlia, Oct 24, 2013.

1. korlia

korlia Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2013
    South Africa
    Last week Thursday we went and fetched our 3 cochin bantam hens from a guy nearby. Two of the hens are the same age and are actualy sisters. We wanted 3 hens so he said we could pick a third, which the boys did. The third one was held seperately from the 2 sisters with another flock. The 2 sisters are also a bit younger than the 3rd hen.

So here is my dilemma/problem. I have read about dominant behaviour and hens having to establish hierarcy in the flock. The third one is clearly the dominant one. She chases the 2 sisters around and pecks at them. Luckily they run away. Tonight however the third one got on top of the one and kept on pecking her at the back of the head? The other one just lay there? Its not so bad that it draws blood or that a hen loses a feather, but Im not sure if this is " normal"? Are they still busy sorting out their hierarcy in the flock or should I be worried?

2. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Are you sure they're all hens? Getting on top of and pecking the head of another bird is typical behavior of a mating rooster. If it is just fighting, they'll probably work things out eventually, though there will always be a lowest-in-the-pecking-order bird.

3. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    It sounds pretty normal. Some of my birds in particular are rather ruthless when it comes to other birds. They attack them, pecking feathers and stepping on top of them. They never injure the other birds, but clearly want to assert their dominance. As long as they don't draw blood, and the submissive birds have enough space to get away if they need to, they should be fine.

4. korlia

korlia Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2013
    South Africa
    I am thankfull to report that it seems that everyone has settled in nicely and are living together peacefully!

5. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I'm glad they are doing well. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by