what to drink

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by kaylakian, May 11, 2010.

1. kaylakian

kaylakian Out Of The Brooder

May 7, 2010
    northampton england
    [​IMG] should i be puttin anything in my chicks water i was told by a friend i should but they didnt no the name

2. ChickenToes

ChickenToes Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2008
    NE Wisconsin
    No. Plain water is fine. Did you get these chicks in the mail? If so, and they had a long journey or seem sort of listless you can put a little sugar in their water to perk them up, but only do that the first day you have them. After that, they're fine.

3. LilPeeps

LilPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    SE Mass
    You can put white or apple cider vinegar in the water. It will keep the bacteria and algae out, and the acv has quite a few health benefits too.

4. kaylakian

May 7, 2010
    northampton england
    thanks for the advice no we got them from a small breeder who lives about 4 miles away

5. LilPeeps

LilPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    SE Mass
    Forgot to add..if you put vinegar, or pretty much anything in the water, don't use galvanized waterers.

6. kaylakian

May 7, 2010
    northampton england
    thanks i will rember that

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
    1 husband , 4 kids , 1 dog , 2 chinchillas , 1 rabbit , 4 chicks , 15 koi carp and a laptop

7. babypeeps

babypeeps Out Of The Brooder

Apr 28, 2010
    Southern Illinois
    I read on Murry McMurry Hatchery when I ordered my chicks that there is something you can add to the water, and I can't think of the name of it now, but when I did go to buy it at TSC and Rural King, they did not offer it. so I never could find anything. I hear that 1 tsp to 1 quart waterer on the first day is okay if they are shipped. but I'm not chicken expert. I think that Mcmurry also mentioned something about that also. Might check into their site and see what it says.

8. kaylakian

May 7, 2010
    northampton england
    thanks if u do could u let me no please

9. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    Some hatcheries recommend terramycin (sp?), but I feel plain fresh water is always best for chicks.

10. kaylakian

May 7, 2010
    northampton england
    [​IMG] thanks wasnt sure if i should be as new to this and want to make sure im not doing ir wrong

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by